savella

jasonsmith
on 8/30/12 4:40 pm - MO
is savella safe to take after rny?

Hislady
on 8/30/12 6:45 pm - Vancouver, WA
Gosh that's a great question, wish I had an answer for you. I haven't taken it, I use cymbalta. Hopefully someone who has had RNY will pop on and have an answer for you. if not you can always ask your surgeon or maybe a pharmacist would know.
JazzyOne9254
on 10/4/12 6:00 pm
My doctor tried me on Savellla, and that **** made me suicidal!  At the end of two weeks (I was trying to tough it out) I called her, begging for my Cymblata back!

She didin't hesitate to restore my Cymbalta, and I've had no issues since.

Every new medicine isn't for everybody!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

bon
on 9/11/12 7:27 pm - Enterprise, AL
 I am copying & pasting from my previous post instead of typing it all out again....

I have been on Savella for probably 9 months or so. Savella has the same properties as an antidepressant (it has Serotonin in it). It is not listed as an antidepressant though. I suspect it isnt because if they do list it as an antidepressant, then they have to do more case studies & the numbers would change, also they kinda have a corner on the market listing it as a Fibro drug, since all the other Fibro meds are "technically" made for other ailments/diseases/conditions. When they put you on Savella, typically they titrate your dosage up & if you are on an antidepressant, they titrate you down. The reason for this is due to the Serotonin. If your body gets too much, you can get Serotonin Syndrome & I can tell you from experience SS is NO joke! I cannot take ANY antidressants or any other drug with Serotonin. My Psychiatrist had tried a low dosage of antidepressants because my Rhematologist insisted & I had a nasty case of the SS, so now he has me on another med that helps but is not an antidressant. I have trouble getting people & some Doctors to understand that the pain is NOT due to depression, the depression is due to the pain! 

Savella does have some pretty intense side effects. I researched it before I started it & read ALOT of forums about it. A lot of people stop it because of the Side effects, but those that tough it out, have good results. To be honest, I had severe nausea & a blinding headache for almost 4 months. I am allergic to almost 50 meds, so I am limited on what I can take. I lived on Zofran! I decided to tough it out. I had been on Lyrica before, but it did nothing for me, but when I went back to my Rheumatologist
Put me on it again, it immediately made the nausea stop! The headache lasted a good 4 months, then gradually went away. The Savella has made a remarkable difference in my pain. Do I still hurt? Yes, but most of the pain I have now is because of another issue, not the FMS itself. Clear as mud? Haha! Sorry, my brain is no longer my friend & sometimes words fail me, describing things to people is not my forte! At least  when I write (type!) it, I can pause & think till I find a word that fits. In person, yeahhhhh....not so much! Sometimes I sound like a babbling idiot.... So embarrassing! 

I will also add that I had also tried Cymbalta before & it did nothing for me. IMHO Savella is worth a try, but do your homework & research it, familiarize yourself with the benefits VS the side effects & then make your decision on whether or not to stick with the med. 

Hope this helps.Good luck, 
Bonnie  

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
Marilyn Monroe
JazzyOne9254
on 10/6/12 1:43 am
I did titrate up, with the titration back first, but I just could not handle the side effects.  YOu can get side effects from anything you take, and this is the one time that I ended up in the side effect stats,, I had every one of them listed for Savella, except for one.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics