TESTS

browneyes65
on 2/16/14 2:23 pm - IN

I'm pretty sure I have Fibromyalgia  and wanted to know is there a test they can do to find out because the Dr said there is no test.

Hislady
on 2/20/14 7:16 am - Vancouver, WA

There is no specific test to diagnosis it so it it more a process of elimination and usually takes time. The are some pressure points they can check but that alone doesn't make for a diagnosis, just keep at it and hopefully some one can give you a diagnosis eventually. Good luck!

JazzyOne9254
on 3/11/14 12:35 pm, edited 3/11/14 12:37 pm

It took five years for me to get a a definitive Fibromyalgia diagnosis.  It was complicated, because I also have Lupus.

From About.com:

http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthqa/f/fmsdiagnosis.htm

More Illustrations/Images Showing Locations Of The Tender Points Of Fibromyalgia:

There is no lab test to diagnose fibromyalgia. Doctors manually check tender points on the body during an examination.

Tender points are specific places on the body (18 specific points at 9 bilateral locations) that are exceptionally sensitive to the touch in people with fibromyalgia upon examination by a doctor.

The nine bilateral (both sides) muscle locations are:

• Low Cervical Region: (front neck area) at anterior aspect of the interspaces between the transverse processes of C5-C7.
  • Second Rib: (front chest area) at second costochondral junctions.
  • Occiput: (back of the neck) at suboccipital muscle insertions.
  • Trapezius Muscle: (back shoulder area) at midpoint of the upper border.
  • Supraspinatus Muscle: (shoulder blade area) above the medial border of the scapular spine.
  • Lateral Epicondyle: (elbow area) 2 cm distal to the lateral epicondyle.
  • Gluteal: (rear end) at upper outer quadrant of the buttocks.
  • Greater Trochanter: (rear hip) posterior to the greater trochanteric prominence.
  • Knee: (knee area) at the medial fat pad proximal to the joint line.

Also Known As: tenderpoints, tender spots, trigger points (note: this is an incorrect term since referred pain differentiates trigger points from tender points) See: Trigger Points vs. Tender Points, from AAFP.org

It is a very long process, but you have to be very assertive in making sure the doctors don't give you the brush off.  Many Fibro patients get labeled as hypochondriacs, and sent  to a mental health care provider for treatment.

Doctors are better about treating fibromyalgia patients now, but when I was trying to get answers (1993 -1998), doctors were quick to tell you that your symptoms were "all in your head".  Now, they finally recognize Fibro as a real illness.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics