Newly Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Felicity Q.
on 4/9/16 4:38 pm, edited 4/9/16 4:45 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about a month ago. It took a lot of complaining to my PCP about pain then I finally specifically asked if it could be fibro. My PCP referred me to a Rheumatologist who prescribed me 75mg Lyrica. After a month she upped my dosage to 100mg Lyrica.

I'm at the point now where I am taking the Lyrica, but don't really feel any relief.  I'm also on Cymbalta and Klonopin, prescribed by my psych who mentioned it should also help with the brain's pain receptors.

I'm posting here now because I am at a loss as to how to communicate with any of my doctors that their expensive Rx's aren't helping. I did experience some temporary body pain relief after having some dental work done when the dentist prescribed T3's.

For some background on me, I had a lap-band in 2011, revision to DS 6 months ago. Total weight loss is approx 120lb from my highest weight; 50lb from my DS surgery weight.  Doing regular housework (like vacuuming and standing long amounts of time for the kitchen/dishes) makes it REALLY hard to function the next day. I am trying to push myself and take a 1.3 mile walk 5 days/week. I have also tried stretching, going to the chiropractor (OUCH, so painful), and even a massage (which provided temporary relief the first day, but 3 days after was in intense pain).

Any advice?

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Hislady
on 4/11/16 9:47 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sorry to welcome you to the fibro family. One thing I always tell people is you have to learn to make friends with the pain. You don't have to like it but you will have to learn to live with a certain amount of it every day. You may have to cut back on the exercise and maybe switch to something more along the lines of yoga where you are stretching and relaxing your muscles.

With a DS you may very well be malabsorbing much of the pain medication, does your psych doc and rheumy know that you have a malabsorbtive surgery? You need to make sure they know that so they can give you the right type of medication, some folks do better getting a smaller amount in more frequent doses. You might do better with some of the pain patches rather than oral meds. I know the cymbalta helped me far more than the lyrica and the lyrica caused me to gain weight like crazy. I do better taking the cymbalta in 2 doses one in the morning and one at night instead of all at once. There is also savella for fibro, I haven't personally used it so can't say how well it works.

We all really have to learn how to manage our lives according to how our fibro is that day and remember that if you over do you WILL pay for it the next day, that's just how it is from now on. Learn to stand up for yourself and your health because people will tell you it is all in your head or you are using it as an excuse. This is our life and at first we all keep trying to push ourselves and pretend that we are just fine. Soon enough tho we have to make adjustments or go crazy trying to pretend all is well. it isn't and never will be. Yes you can still go to a softball game but just plan on taking it easy the day before and after. Yes you can work in the garden but not all day long, take it over several days and take a nice hot bath that night. Learn to take things slow and easy. I call it the stop and smell the roses disease sometimes because that is what we have to start doing just live life slower and easier and you know that's not ALL bad!

I also suggest getting on the internet and read as much as you can from some of the major fibro groups. There's a lot of nonsense too like upping magnesium and lots of so called homeopathic remedies but save your money because most of them are just out to get your money. If you are lucky enough to be near some of the really good teaching colleges you might get even better treatment there. Otherwise work with your docs as much as you can to try to get as much relief from pain as you can. Of course if you have any more questions or want to vent I'm usually here every day or so.

Felicity Q.
on 4/13/16 1:07 am
DS on 09/28/15

Thank you so much for the reply, Hislady - Your help and advice on these forums is quite appreciated! I noticed that you reply to almost all of the threads here!

I have done a TON of research online about Fibro... which I researched beforehand as kind of an "Aha!" moment when I was seeking an answer to why my body just HURTS all the time. Once I started reading the symptoms of Fibro, I just kept nodding along. When I saw the pressure points graphic, I appreciated how spot on some of the worse areas are.

I think my issue right now is that I have 2 doctors (my Rheumatologist and Psychiatrist) prescribing me Lyrica and Cymbalta (respectively) but no doctor has said ANYTHING about a medication for the pain. I specifically asked my PCP when I first mentioned my body pains, and she said to take asprin (as you know, a HUGE no-no for us WLS patients!). Then, I asked my Rheumatologist after 1 month on Lyrica if she would prescribe me something I can take on the really bad days to help... she also said "No" (at this time) and we'll discuss again at my appointment next month.

I'm just completely dumbfounded that a pain prescription is so hard to come by!  All of my doctors know that I have no history of drug or alcohol abuse, no prior prescriptions for pain medications... I just don't know what to do about that. I feel like I am being walked on by these people (it feels like mentally AND physically some days!).  All of my doctors know about my DS and the malabsorption... thankfully none have recommended any vitamin supplements for Fibro... No way I am going to add more of anything to my long list since my labs are coming back in normal ranges.

Ugh, I just don't know.  I'm kind of ranting to myself at this point, so thanks for reading! Any advice or pointers on how to talk to my doctors and not be a push-over would be appreciated!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Addgirl06
on 5/10/16 4:29 pm

Yes Find a different group of meds. Cymbalta and Lyrica together are almost toxic to withdraw from. Do some research on Cymbalta withdrawal and whatever you do, do not abruptly discontinue either medication. There is a closed group on Facebook called "Cymbalta Hurts Worse" please look at the group for support and advice. Best of luck!

barbskib
on 6/27/16 1:31 am - Maricopa, AZ

Been there.  I am Bpolar with low back pain so everyone said my pain was those but no.   I kept pushing for help and finally I got the diagnosis Fibromyalgia.   They gave me Lyrica,  big mistake.  It helped a lot bu****ch out for the weight gain side effects.   I gained 50 pounds. Stopped taking it.  They had given me Gabapen for the Bipolar.   It has the same core so they increased dose and it helped so much. 

mandapalooza
on 7/9/16 3:41 pm

HI there. I am not really new to the forums....just lost my old user ID and had to make a new one. I have fibro. I have been on gabapentin since Janurary and just this week they added cymbalta to my mix. not a very high dose at all, 30mg i think. just to see how it works with the gabapentin. I take 1200mg gaba a day. 1 in am, 1 mid afternoon, 2 at bedtime. seems to help a lot. I have horrible issues with flare ups of the fibro any time I am sick...or i just had a gout flare up, and staph infection...that triggered my fibro and thats what prompted the cymbalta. 

Fibro sucks. I try to pre medicate before I do anything knowing I will hurt later....I am allowed to adjust the gabapentin as needed and can take more to help prevent flare ups. I also have quit eating red meat and pork because they can irritate fibro AND gout. I will have broth or if bacon is in something i am eating i dont freak out, you just wont see me slerping on a rib or chewing on a steak. I eat anything that flies or swims basically. it can get better and you will see what triggers it...activity wise and FOOD wise. 

Most Active
Recent Topics