Someone Who's my age" 63" or there about!

Gloria-Caryl
on 4/16/11 10:49 am
 I can't seem to find people in my age bracket to compare notes with. I'm waiting to have RNY in a mo or so.
Catharine
on 4/22/11 2:59 pm - Canada
I am 66 and almost 3 months out from my RNY surgery. I would do it again in a minute. I have great energy, off my meds, and have lost 44 pounds so far, with another 50 or so to go. I have been looking for a penpal close to my age to compare notes with and would love to correspond.
Gloria-Caryl
on 4/23/11 12:11 am
   WOW, a penpal from Canada!!! Thank you so much. I'm still waiting. I had my last Dr. visit and he's suppose to send in my reviews. Can you remember how long you had to wait to hear back from your surgeon? How much did you weigh to start with? Now tell me all about your self. Best wishes, Gloria
Catharine
on 4/23/11 5:03 am - Canada
Hi Gloria. It's nice to hear back from you. I had my RNY in Utah since my husband and I spend our winters down in Southern Utah. My first appointment with the surgeon was Jan 22, 2011 where we did all the lab work, etc. Then I asked my GP to send documentation that he had supervised many attempts to lose weight over the prior 3 years. I made sure that all the documentation was there that week. Since Medicare was my insurer and I had some health problems such as diabetus,and I had to be back at work by March 15, the process was expedited and I had my surgery Feb 4.
The best advice I can give you is to remember to walk as much as you can right after the surgery. Gas bubbles are very uncomfortable at first, and walking helps alot. I remember taking a step and burp, take another and toot. lol. Within a week I didn't need pain meds anymore except at night  because I was sore and it was hard to turn over in bed. By the end of 2 weeks I was off meds and going for short walks outside and even going downstairs to do my laundry. Just don't lift anything over 8 pounds until you go back for your 1 month check up. 
I weighed 238 when I started the process. I lost quickly at first as the surgeon put me on a 2 week liguids only diet prior to my surgery to reduce the fatty liver, and then 2 weeks after also. Since I have been on regular food, I am losing about 9-10 pounds per month.After 2 3/4 months, I am down to 194 and  I feel really good. Much better energy. Don't have to take my diabetus or bp meds.

About me: I am a therapist who works with people who struggle with PTSD or Addictions and their families. I have cut back to 3-4 days a week this year and plan to take Dec-Feb off again to go south. I have 3 grown children, 11 grandchildren, and almost 4 greats. My husband and I have been married for 7 years. He was a widower with 11 adult children and a whole passel of grandchildren and great grandchildren. I was a divorcee. Although he is American (I have dual citizenship) he has ranched up here for 30 years Hobbies: I love to read, and have been oil painting for a long time. I'm learning how to water color now and want to learn about doing stained glass next winter.

I'd love to hear about you now Gloria.

Gloria-Caryl
on 7/1/11 2:02 am
   Hi Catherine, I didn't get notified of your response for some reason. Sorry for the delay in answering. So how old are you and your husband? I just love hearing about people and their lives. I should of been a counselor!!!!!!!! How did you guys meet. Gee, you were even that heavy. I'm 340 lbs. They called and my surgery date is Aug. 15th. Would you please be there for me though all this- I need someone with experience so I don't mess up. I don't want to be scared either. I'm going though a divorce and don't have that one on one support I desperately need. Do you think I'll be able to go back to work in a few weeks if I sit on a stool to do my work?
Catharine
on 7/2/11 3:14 pm - Canada
Gloria, by 2 weeks after my surgery, I was fine to resume my ordinary schedule, without heavy lifting of course .I'd ask the doctor and follow whatever he says
.I'd love to be there as a pen pal and a support before during and after your surgery. I'm 66 years old and, enjoying the complements on my weight loss.
jamest71
on 6/30/11 12:11 pm - newton, MS
hello gloria i am 64 trying to get the nerve to have a lap ban.i wouilded love to be your pen pal. thomas foxworth
Gloria-Caryl
on 7/1/11 1:52 am
   Dear Thomas, how much do you weigh now? My Dr. said the lanp band wouldn't work on me due to my size. They sound like a real pain anyway- going back for fills, etc. etc. most people end up having a revision anyway. Go to a general meeting first and see what you think. Let me know. All my best.,Gloria
jamest71
on 7/1/11 7:38 am - newton, MS
hi gloria i weight 302lbs 5,9 inc i am glad you wrote back . the hardest trouble i am having is getting a way to the clinic i will write you soon. thomas
Most Active