4 weeks post-op, I'm ready for the gym!

sionnaingeal
on 8/9/06 1:16 am - Coventry, RI
I've been doing about a mile on the elipticals and working my arms for the remainder of my time in the gym. Am I ready to start harder work-outs? I tucker out pretty quickly, so reps might be best, I'm not sure. the cardio is really difficult. --Fox

I am now a HOME OWNER!   Check out my House Blog!

Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader

36 lbs from goal!

Cruise Director Julie
on 8/9/06 1:26 am - Dallas, TX
RNY on 11/15/05 with
Has your surgeon cleared your for more intense exercise? If you've got the clearance then start will low amounts of weight with low reps. As you get stronger, if you just want to tone (and not increase your bulk), increase the reps, not the weight. I found in my early days, I seemed to get more "bang for the buck" out of cardio. Make sure you're staying in your target heart rate zone for the best workout.
Blessings, Jennifer 
253 / 140 (below goal)
If I were lying, wouldn't my pants be on fire?!?
Earl C.
on 8/9/06 2:20 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Fox, You're doing great! It's a marathon not a sprint. You're only 4 weeks out so take your time. You're still healing on the inside for months and living on a starvation diet. I'm all for harder work outs, but if you're just now getting into training, I believe you have to get in condition to train harder. Walking and cardio are the best things you can do for your fat loss and just getting healthy after surgery. Ask your surgeon, most suggest 4 to 6 weeks to begin any weight training. Good luck! Earl
mikedanziger
on 8/9/06 3:28 am
If you tucker out quickly I would suggest not increasing work out untill you no longer tucker out but ask your doc
JeremyGentles
on 8/9/06 4:12 am - Johnson City, TN
Fox, You are doing great! Just keep in mind that you are consuming very few calories at this point and it is expected that you may get tired fairly quickly.  Take your time as you progress, love what you are doing and know that you are certainly going to be healthier for it.  Keep it up.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Most Active