Arm exercises

Shrinking.Violet
on 8/9/06 3:58 am - Cold Spring, NY
Hi All!  I'm so excited about this new board!  I have a question on exercises for the arms.  I'm down 121 lbs since my surgery and had lost over 80 before that so I have the flabbiest arms.  OF COURSE, I know nothing is ever going to fix that (other than plastic surgery) but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good exercises that I can do at the gym?  I belong to Planet Fitness and I love it, but I think I need to concentrate on some of my flabbier parts a bit more!  Thanks! Vi
I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it!
JeremyGentles
on 8/9/06 4:04 am, edited 8/9/06 4:07 am - Johnson City, TN
Vi, There are a couple of simple movements for biceps and triceps that you can do; in addtition to this performing exercises like bench press and rows not only work you chest and back but triceps and biceps as well.  Check ou this link of the forum....scroll down and look at exercise 4-8. http://obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,8846/mode,conten t/ In order to cause the most muscular hypertrophy or growth you should perform several sets for each exercise where each set consists of 8-12 repetitions. Maybe this will help. I will be posting more advanced exercise programs by the end of the week.  Jeremy Gentles, CSCS
Shrinking.Violet
on 8/9/06 10:31 am - Cold Spring, NY
Thanks for the link Jeremy!!
I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it!
LadyDi9080
on 8/10/06 3:10 am - Tallahassee, FL
Hi Vi, I've done a lot of arm work (both before when I tried to get in shape, loosing over 100 pounds and now - doing it again).  The sad part is that most of the jello will not go away but underneath can be arms of steel. I do the things recommended by Jeremy but I pu**** with the free weights. I do hammer curls, something I call a lawn mower pull* (I'll explain), overhead triceps and every arm machine my gym has to offer. I do the movements slowly, maintaining complete control of the weight - not letting inertia help. The overhead triceps - take a weight in hand standing tall. Raise over head so the elbow is next to the ear. Lower the weight behind your head. 3 sets of 15 reps. Lawn mower pull - (This is not the official name!) - Kneel on a bench with right knee - right hand on bench. With the weight in your left, lower it towards the floor. Pull the weight up beside your breast - hold and repeat for 15 reps. 3 Sets. When our bodies have been stretched a bit, it may be a good idea to work the smaller muscles in the arms as well. I call that a minor muscle work out. I take a weight in my hand and move my wrist back and forth, targeting the lower arms. Hope this helps...and thanks to everyone for this forum!! Dianne from FL
Most Active