Gyms for weight loss surgery patients

Mike9Nina
on 8/21/06 3:21 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Does anybody know if there are any exercise facilities (gyms) that cater to only weight loss surgery patients? After surgery, I would like to workout in a place with people like myself.
Earl C.
on 8/22/06 1:35 am - Circleville, OH

Check with the local hospitals in your area. In Columbus OSU Medical Center has a gym originally set up for Heart and Surgery patients, but seems to be taken over by WLS patients.  They have everything from exercise classes to heated pool for walking. The cardio equipment is even set up to accommodate large or handicapped people for easy access, like seats on the recumbent bikes that swivel to get in and out of the bike. They have upper body cardio equipment for people that can't walk or ride a bike. The heated pool is the real sale maker. Some ladies there told me that they feel more comfortable that almost everyone "looks" like them there. Plus there's always a doctor on the treadmill next to you (they get a discount).

Working out at home is always an option or a small facility in your area.

Good Luck

Earl

Barbara J. H.
on 8/23/06 9:06 am - Martinsburg, WV
I agree with the previous poster, check out your local hospitals.  I recently joined my local hospital's Wellness Center.  It's cheaper then the "popular" gyms and they have certified trainers.  You will find a variety of people there too.  I am really enjoying exercising now!

Banded 3/30/06 -VG band currently @ 5.5 ccs
Colby Matthew  8-7-07 Born 5 weeks early @ 3:27 pm. 5 lbs 10 oz  19 1/2 in.            CIMG3503.jpg image by TealHearts70 Colby @ 4 mo. 

Christine D
on 8/27/06 11:15 am - Mount Penn, PA
I too am a hospital wellness center member.  The place where I go only has 1 other WLS'er that I know of, and I've never met her, but since most of the folks there are either respiratory, PT or cardiac patients, a large percentage of them are either overweight or were at one time, so they don't look twice at anyone's size or ability.  Actually, since most of the members are in some type of rehab, the reason I DO get looked at is because I am one of the youngest there, plus my body has changed so quickly since I started, it caused some questions among those I did not share my story with.   Like another poster said, these facilities usually have more machines that are friendly to larger people (but you won't be for long!) and sometimes there are no additional trainer fees...this is my favorite part...there are trainers on site at all times and I can go to them at any time for help and there's no added cost like at private "name" gyms. You may also want to ask at a support group (if you have one) where most people go...sometimes you can find a small group of workout buddies to keep you motivated and help you feel comfortable. Good luck! Christine
Most Active