Exercise for New Post-op

Coolata had a
REVISION {BOB}

on 9/2/06 7:00 am
REALIZE Band on 02/06/12
Hello, I was seeking advise for post-op exercise. I am having surgery on thursady, 9/7....when should I start exercising?what type of workouts and to what degree? Thanks Natalie
JeremyGentles
on 9/2/06 8:00 am - Johnson City, TN
Natalie, How are you? Much of this will depend on the type of surgery you have, whether it is open or laparoscopic and foremost, what you surgeon says.  There are so many possibilities but much of this will depend on what your particular surgeon decides. Please provide more detail about your particular surgical procedure and/or wait until what your surgeon instructs you to do post-op. Once you know more details after surgery, I can provide you with specific options for exercise.  -Jeremy Gentles, CSCS
Coolata had a
REVISION {BOB}

on 9/2/06 11:00 am
REALIZE Band on 02/06/12
I will be having laparoscopic gastric bypass roux n y. I will defenitely do what my doctor says but I was just curious as to what others have done. Thanks!
JeremyGentles
on 9/4/06 12:13 am - Johnson City, TN
Many of the times it will be suggested that you wait 6 weeks prior to doing any vigorous activity. This however does not mean that you can't do anything, it just means that you should not do intense cardiovascular and resistance training.  You will most likely be encourage to start a walking program in the during the initial 6 weeks of post op. After that, more intense cardiovascular training and resistance training may be introduced as tolerated. Of course your physician may have slightly different recommendations.  Until that time I encourage you to take a look at the following article. It is in the Exercise and Fitness Forum. Click here to read it. Jeremy Gentles, CSCS
Coolata had a
REVISION {BOB}

on 9/4/06 1:00 am
REALIZE Band on 02/06/12
Yes, walking was emphasized during a support meeting I attended. Thanks for some insight I am sure I will utilize this forum!
LadyDi9080
on 9/13/06 7:50 am - Tallahassee, FL
Sounds like Jeremy knows his stuff. When you first have surgery, just walk. Walk. Then walk some more. Take it easy at first. Depending on your size, you may want to take a few pounds off before starting any other type of training. This will be baby steps. Just try to go further each day! Congratulations on thinking ahead about increasing your changes for success and health by working out! Dianne from FL
Coolata had a
REVISION {BOB}

on 9/18/06 11:06 am
REALIZE Band on 02/06/12
Thanks. My doctor suggested I begin walking. Will walk in the am after my son goes of to school!

Most Active