Runner Roll Call

Scott William
on 9/3/06 11:42 pm
I would like to get an idea of who is running amd how you like it.  How much are you running.  Road, treadmill, treadmill or other.  Just wondering who is getting out and hitting it. I have been running about 4 months and participated in 3 road races.  I am running the Race for the Taste in October at Disney World and the Disney Marathon in January.  I really enjoy it now and hope it is a life long commitment.  Take care for now. Scott
slowgal
on 9/4/06 4:08 am
Hey Scott... Congrats on the road races under your belt and the one's on the horizon! I've been running about the same amount of time and you seem waaaaaay ahead of me... awesome! I ran my first 5K 10 days ago. I average only 10 miles/ week and am adding in a non run cardio day along w/ two 'core' days. I prefer to run outside, but will hit the TM if the weather is ugly. Saying that, I live in NY and forsee alot of TM time over the winter. I don't love running THAT much! *wink* Make it a great one!
Scott William
on 9/5/06 3:53 am
Hopefully, you find a love for it or it finds you.  Keep up the great work! Scott
Chunky Dunker
on 9/4/06 11:51 am - WA
Hi Scott,  I started running mid June. I run 3 miles 3 days a week on asphalt run/bike trails through out town. The one I run the most is 1/2 a mile from my home. Today I ran my first cross country 5K. Wow! LOTS of hills, and a sand, grass clippings and sometimes gravel trail. ROUGH! I am doing another 5K in 3 weeks, and that is a road race. I don't think I could do a marathon yet, but we have a local fall half marathon, and I want to do that next year. I guess I don't want to do too much too soon and injure myself. so for now just my 9 mile weeks.  -Not so Chunky now ;)
Scott William
on 9/5/06 3:55 am
Good idea on not doing too much too soon but you will get there.  My advice would be to sign up for that half marathon as soon as you can to give yourself a goal and a date.  That will keep you motivated. Take care Scott
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/06 12:43 am - Las Vegas, NV
I started a Run/Walk program "30 days to 30 minutes" in "The Idiots Guide to Running" in Feb 2004, after I had lost 200 pounds and was 100 pounds overweight.  I ran my first marathon in Oct 2004, The Long Beach Marathon.  I have since run 5 marathons. Over this winter, several things conspired to reduce my running back to beginner level.  I've restarted several times, but it just doesn't take.  The current restart is progressing well.  Most of my running is outside, though I do some at the gym on the indoor track, and the treadmill is a last resort.  There is talk of getting a treadmill for home and that could be helpful. I have never participated in anything less than a marathon.  I have signed up for a marathon in January 2007, I've realized the previous marathons were the result of exceitement and obsessiveness, but this next will be about willpower... willpower I hope I can prove I have. Good Luck.
Chunky Dunker
on 9/6/06 3:53 am, edited 9/6/06 3:55 am - WA

When you  talk about the restart, is that a specific training regimen for the marathon for a number of weeks ahead of time?

Do you think that since your  "previous marathons were the result of exceitement and obsessiveness" that it will be harder now that you aren't obsessing? Just curious, because I am an all or nothing type of gal myself  (wonder how I got fat?!) and I can see myself being a bit obsessive about the whole running thing right now.   I did read an interview with an athlete that struck a chord with me. The interviewer asked them how they stayed in such great shape.  The athlete said, "You know those days when you don't feel like going to work, but you go anyway? You have to do that with your workouts too. You have to do it every day, whether you feel like it or not." I've thought of that on days when I don't want to get up and run or ride my bike, but I know that skipping 1 day will turn into 1 week and then into 1 month and then into 100 lbs.

I'm curious about your response. I don't know if I have much will power to do anything. I'm running so I don't gain.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/06 4:04 am - Las Vegas, NV
I'm not doing a specific program, more of an amalgamation of all the programs I read about the first time around.  I know I have the time to train up. Yes, it will be harder since I'm not obsessing.  The first time around, being able to run was exciting, so every time I ran, it was exciting and joyous.  There were days when I didn't feel like running, but I did anyhow, and was always rewarded with happiness.  It was about seeing how much faster or further I could go. This time around it will be very much about character and willpower, the same stuff that (I think) gets me up to work.  But... If I didn't HAVE to work, I wouldn't.  I don't HAVE to run, so... its tough.  I'm hoping once I get past the 3-4 week start-up, it will return to being fun... right now, its the hot work stage.
Scott William
on 9/6/06 10:07 am
Well lets hope that this restart is successful for you.  Good luck getting in shape  for the January marathon.  I know that you have the will power.  Without it you would not be going for your sixth marathon.   You have never run a race shorter than a marathon?   That is wierd and cool at the same time. Take care Scott
ChristineB
on 9/6/06 8:41 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
That is great, keep up the good work. I started running back in February by reading several books first as to how to build up my time etc. I finally made it to being able to run for 30 minutes straight by the beginning of June. It took that long because I had a PS in there and was off of my feet for about 3 weeks so I needed to start over again to build up my times.  I love it and the high afterwards. I still am a little slow and only run a 12 1/2 minute mile but I do not care at least I am not sitting at home in front of a TV. Chris PS I did participate in a park district 5K in April. I mostly power walked that sucker but at least I came back across the finish line in the verticle position!

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Most Active