5 days post-op from LAP RNY

sdh13
on 9/10/06 5:43 am - Charlotte, NC

I am having no difficulties with walking and am ahead of the game, but I really want anxious to start weight training for toning.  I know I am not allowed to do so until a month post-op, per my doc.    My crazy question is this:  Are isometric exercises easier and less sressful on the core than weight training/strengthening/toning?  I am asking my doc at my follow-up on Wed. but am impatient to wait and wonder if someone on the board knows if isometrics before a month are legal??????  I want to use my month off from work to a constructive advantage... Thanks!!!!!!

Earl C.
on 9/10/06 6:44 am, edited 9/10/06 6:47 am - Circleville, OH
Hey, First, good luck. I was a little impatient too after surgery. My opinion is isometrics are good depending on what exercises you're thinking about. Like every thing else, there's no easy answer. I personally think you strain more doing isometric work and the last thing you want to do right now is strain.  I wouldn't do anything bent over or any ab work for 4 to 6 weeks, but a little arm or shoulder work won't kill you. I did very, very light band and dumbbell work for arms, chest and shoulder, a little back work on a seated row machine that had a pad to support my abs and calf raises. No leg or abs, nothing laying down or bent over. No straining. You're still healing on the inside for months even after the outside looks ok. I mostly did walking and after 2 weeks some exercises in the pool. I did about 6 or 7 short walks the first month, gradually making each walk longer and cutting down the number of walks until I was down to 2 - 45 minute to 1 hour walks a day. I was off for 7 weeks so I had a lot of time on my hands.  But there's an energy drain after surgery, so doing 45 minute walks at first was not a good idea. I just wanted to nap after a 5 minute walk most days. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. Earl
sdh13
on 9/10/06 11:18 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks, Earl, for your helpful response!!!!!   Yes, my main concern is my arms.  Luckily my weight is mostly upper and my legs are pretty firm, so the leg work can wait.  I admit though, I am very inpatient about the abs, being that 80% of my extra weight is there!!!!. But I am very aware that too much too soon will only prolong the process.  Thanks for reminding me of this! I have a "quick forgetter"!!!!  I cant wait to ask my surgeon about the arm work.  I have been walking a mile, split up in 1/2 mile increments 2x a day and plan to work up steadily.  Plus, tomorrow I sart walking in the pool.  I am so excited.  This surgery has opened so many doors! I am really excited to hear how well you did for the first 2 months!  I have chosen to take 4 weeks off work and plan on staying busy organizing the house between walks and the pool! Thanks again and I am so glad to be on the losing side of the team!!!!
Most Active