Getting Back on the Exercise Bandwagon...

lswood_27
on 4/2/11 12:20 am - IA
Hello All!

Wow, it's been forever since I've been on OH!  Great to see ya'll again! 

Yesterday I renewed my membership to the local Y!   I have been slacking by way of exercise this winter, as it's been very cold and yucky outside, thus I sort of lost my motivation.  I'm excited to be kicking it up again starting Monday and thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions for getting back into it...  Is there a particular activity/workout that would be a good "transitionary" exercise as I get back into my groove?  I'm sort of worried about doing too much too soon, so I thought I'd ask for input.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!! 
 ~ Lindsey 
HW: 357 / CW: 180 / GW: 150

fatfreemama
on 4/2/11 8:55 am - San Jose, CA
Welcome back and congratulations on taking the first step in getting back into exercise. I always like the elliptical or swimming to get back into exercise. They are low impact and you can build up as you feel stronger. I'm sure the experts will have better advice. Good luck!

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

mcarthur01
on 4/2/11 11:02 am - Cumming, GA
i started walking on the treadmill and then moved up the incline and speed as i became more comfortable.  after that i moved to the stationary bike, elliptical, and then back to the treadmill for jogging when i was ready.  best of luck, hope to see you around here posting on the daily threads.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

lswood_27
on 4/2/11 1:15 pm - IA
Thank you both for the input!  I'm thinking elliptical, walking, and stationary bike rotation is what I'm going to do to start out.  My ultimate goal is to start running, but that will be awhile, as I need to get back into the groove of things first.  I'd especially like to do a 5K sometime in the future!  WIll let ya'll know how it goes!! 
 ~ Lindsey 

niffer1283
on 4/3/11 9:36 pm - Richmond, IN
Hi everybody...haven't been here for a while! I've been exercising, but not enough, maybe 2-3 times a week. Where I was lap swimming was just too expensive, but another placed opened a couple of months ago where I can swim all I want for $25.00 a month. Lap swimming is my favorite exercise to do, so that has gotten me back on the bandwagon. It's been nice enough to walk outside lately too, so overall I'm taking it up a notch. I hope to get another 40 lbs off this summer.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

Emily F.
on 4/4/11 9:54 am
Start walking/elliptical. If you are interested in running, you can check out couch to 5k program after a while.
lswood_27
on 4/4/11 1:55 pm - IA
I've heard several people mention this program, Emily.  Have you done it?  I would eventually get to the point where I'm running...maybe by the end of the summer!! 
 ~ Lindsey 

lswood_27
on 4/4/11 1:53 pm - IA
For my first day back I ended up mixing it up a little with 15 minutes on the eliptical, 10 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes of walking.  It felt GREAT to get moving again!!!  Can't wait for tomorrow!! 

Thanks ya'll for the suggestions/pointers!! 
 ~ Lindsey 

Most Active