New RNYer with questions re: exercise

MommaSyn
on 4/8/11 10:01 am - Cook, MN
Hi! I am almost 3 weeks out. So far I am walking about 2 miles a day and am working up to 5 miles a day by the time 6 weeks out rolls around. When should I start jogging/running? I have already had arthoscopic surgery on my left knee.  And I don't want to hurt the knees anymore. Or should I even try it? I am also doing som stretching and abdominal strengthing exercises at home. There isn't a nearby gym that I can go to except at the hospital as this is a rural area. Needing ideas here.

Thanks
    Cindy Prior AKA Momma Syn                                                 
Kim S.
on 4/9/11 4:29 am - Helena, AL
I never joined a gym.  I bought things to exercise at home.  I have a treadmill, an elliptical, a TV and large open space for doing DVD workouts (I love P90X), a nautilus weight machine, a heavy bag, and a full set of free weights and resistance bands. 

I built this up over time--I knew I'd never go to a gym.  I also love to run and hike.  I've exercised since the day after my surgery (I worked out for 6 months prior to surgery). 

I was 324 lbs when I had my surgery and I was starting to run on my treadmill about 2 months after surgery, so I was still quite heavy.  The important thing is to ask your doctor if your knee can handle it, and if you get the "all clear" start slowly. 

You should also do some total body weight conditioning in addition to cardio.  It strenghtens your whole body and the increased muscle mass burns more calories--not to mention you will just feel great when your body is strong.

I am so proud of you for starting on the right foot with exercise!  It is truly critical to long term weight control.

Most Active