To Exercise or Not to Exercise THAT is the Question

Debbie R.
on 4/13/11 2:20 pm - Las Cruces, NM

My weight loss surgeon says if i want to lose more weight i have to exercise but i have a BAD messed up back and my pain management doctor and physical therapist says i need to lose weight but i am not allowed to exercise.

What can I do to make both my doctors and myself happy

fatfreemama
on 4/13/11 3:31 pm, edited 4/13/11 3:31 pm - San Jose, CA
What about swimming or water exercises? Would they be ok and satisfy both docs?

Or maybe a reclining bike so you can work just your legs?

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Debbie R.
on 4/14/11 2:07 pm - Las Cruces, NM
Thanks for responding

Part of my physical therapy was pool therapy and that actually hurt my back worse. There's no way I could do a reclining bike, that hurts just thinking about it.
cabin111
on 4/14/11 9:15 am
Swimming...If you are in NM it should be warm by now.  You might want to try bike riding.  You'll need to find a bike where you can ride in a more upright position.  I would think your physical therapist would have a few good ideas on what would work...
Debbie R.
on 4/14/11 2:10 pm - Las Cruces, NM
I haven't been on a bike in 20 years but it sounds like fun. Your right, I would need to find one that I don't have to bend forward to reach the handle bars.
Elia-B
on 4/14/11 12:12 pm
I agree with the idea about swimming. Also, water aerobic could be good. Just be sure to always listen to what your body is telling you when doing any activity. Also, you might try some exercises where you tighten your muscles without movement, just tighten and hold. I know there's a name for that but can't think of what it is. Yoga could also be good, very gentle forms of it. Have you asked if Tai Chi would be okay?
Debbie R.
on 4/14/11 2:14 pm - Las Cruces, NM
Part of my physical therapy was in the pool. All I did was walk forward in the 4 ft  and then go to the 7 ft with one of those floating tubes and just relax and hang. After wards I hurt so bad it was scary driving home.
Elia-B
on 4/22/11 2:24 am
 Wow!!!  That is intense to be impacted so strongly by such a low impact exercise.  I hope you get to feeling better soon.  Maybe your body would be able to handle water exercise a little better now.  
(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 2:10 am
On April 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM Pacific Time, Elia-B wrote:
I agree with the idea about swimming. Also, water aerobic could be good. Just be sure to always listen to what your body is telling you when doing any activity. Also, you might try some exercises where you tighten your muscles without movement, just tighten and hold. I know there's a name for that but can't think of what it is. Yoga could also be good, very gentle forms of it. Have you asked if Tai Chi would be okay?
Agreement is ligical.

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11
Most Active