Question About Energy Sources and Long Runs

LaRuse
on 4/18/11 5:57 am - Richmond, VA

Hello everyone. I am really glad I found this particular message board; you all are the folks I need to talk to.

I have started training for my first half marathon set for November 12, 2011.  I am running between 15 and 20 miles a week currently, but building my "mileage base" and will be soon running much longer runs. 

All the regular (non-WLS) runners I know personally talk about using energy gels, beans, bars, or drinks at various times during long runs (45 or more minutes).  I am anxious about even attempting any high sugar product given I do experience dumping, and I was wondering what the experience of other distance runners here has been with gels, beans, and the like.

Is the risk of dumping decreased by the glycogen depletion of long workouts?  Are there any relatively lower-sugar options?  Is it going to have to be a trial and error process?  I would appreciate product recommendations if anyone has some. 

I know this is kind of sad, but I fear dumping so much that I bypassed the gatorade station at a 5k race I ran two weeks ago out of fear because I knew there were no port-o-johns available and I was not going to find myself in a dire and very sick situation.  No gatorade or energy stuff is needed for a 5k, but once I get above 8 or 9 miles, I am thinking I am going to need a little help. 

Warm regards,
Kim

mcarthur01
on 4/18/11 6:36 am - Cumming, GA
everybody is different, so trial and error is the key.  i don't have any issues with the gels/beans/blocks, but i pretty much just stick with the gels, but i do have issues with full-sugar gatoraide (i can handle the lower sugar G2 or no sugar poweraide zero).  regarding gels, i was careful to try one out at home just to see how it would affect my stomach, then i added one in during exercise and then went from there.  i had to try a couple of different ones because some just taste awful.  i personally like the clif shot mocha gels with caffeine, but honestly don't know anybody else that uses that particular brand :)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/18/11 7:20 am
Pls take all advice with a grain of salt, cuz a) I'm a cyclist not a runner, and b) everyone's different.

I know that I can handle anything if it's got less than 10gm of sugar in it. I love the GU brand gummies (Chomps I think) and I just eat two at a time and have no issues.

I don't like the little oozie packets cuz there is always some left over and it gets all over my stuff, but they taste just fine and lots are low sugar.

I don't do Gatorade either, but I carry the electrolyte tabs (Camelback, Hammer, Nuun) and add those to water instead.

Try stuff when your close to home and you might be surprised how much they help out!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Paul C.
on 4/18/11 7:34 am - Cumming, GA
I have started to test gels and such as I increase my milage and duration.  I have found that I don't have issues with GU chomps or Gels, but some are way sweet in flavor. I made sure I tested them at home, Gu has both caffine and caffine free gels so if you are a no caffine person they have an option. 

Bill where do you get yours? 
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
fatfreemama
on 4/18/11 11:11 am - San Jose, CA
I've found that the GU gels are fine for me. At my last half, I took one at 4, 7, and 10 miles and they really helped. I like NUUN tablets in my water. No cal and no sugar, just a lot of electrolytes.

Good luck!
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Grandpa-G
on 4/18/11 12:14 pm - Grandville, MI
I do ok with the GU and the CHOMPs.  Like an earlier post, I do one or two Chomps at at time and don't have a problem.  I did try both at home, just to be close to the necessary room, if necessary.

I can't tollerate Gaterade, too much sugar.  

I like the Glaceau Vitamin Water Zero.  I get it by the case at Costco.  But, even that I like to delute with some decaf Crystal Lite Ice Tea.  The straight Vitamin Water just tastes too sweet for me.  I also mix in a scoop of unflavored Unjury. So I have a Protein VitaWater blend (1/2 Vita Water, 1/2 CL Iced Tea, and Unflavored Unjury).  I carry a 20 oz bottle with me for my long runs, with another bottle (the other half of my concoction) waiting in the car when I'm done.

I also try to eat a power bar or some oatmeal with yogurt and Unjury about an hour before a long run.

I then will have a few sips of my Protein VitaWater and a Chomp or GU at about 30 mins into a long run, then every 30 mins thereafter.  If there is an aid station, I'll take some water.  This is working very well for me.

At the end of my long runs (I'm up to 13.5 miles) I'm feeling great!

The key is to experiment a little and find what works for you.  When you find it, come back and share it.  Perhaps somebody will benefit from your "formula".

Good luck, Good Health, and Good Running!
Eating junk food and CRAP is not a reward...it's a punishment...
  it's a DEATH sentence...Reward yourself with Good Health!
Highest Weight: 287 Lbs-January 2010; Reached Goal 195 Lbs - Dec 2010 
Total Lost: 92 Lbs;  Completed FULL MARATHON (26.2 Miles) 10-16-2011

weenie
on 4/18/11 3:09 pm
I use Hammer gels. I love banana flavor. They are low in sugar. I use them after an hour of exercise. I actually look forward to it.
Most Active