Carbs

DK35
on 5/3/11 9:59 am - Campbell, CA
Did you all still eat drastically small amounts of carbs, or did you have to increase your carbohydrates when you started exercising. I sometimes do two hours a day and sometimes longer on the bike. I eat a larger amount of carbs now. If I don't I actually get dizzy. I haven't put on weight. The majority of my carbs are complex. Veggies and fruits.
crystal M.
on 5/3/11 10:33 am - Joliet, IL

I keep myself on low carbs and only complex carbs, but I did go up slightly.  I was at about 30-40 carbs a day now I am at 40-50 a day.  I started to feel some dizziness and I added a pre-workout snack (30 minutes before the workout)...I have 3-4 apple slices and a tablespoon of peanut butter.  Ever since I have been fine. 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/3/11 11:57 am - Fort Worth, TX
You are doing it right! Stick with the complex! Granola, oats, nuts, fruits, veggies, pasta, and wheat. It's all good!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Mandyplus2 ..
on 5/3/11 1:10 pm - GA
Fruits are simple carbs. fruit, honey, sugar, fruit juice

Complex carbs are starches and fibrous veggies. rice, wholemeal, pasta, veggies

I eat more carbs now than when I was in the losing phase. My goal is 116 grams a day, but I average around 60-80g. I eat a lot of oatmeal. =)
 5'8" - 40 years old

DK35
on 5/3/11 1:37 pm - Campbell, CA
I wrote the majority of my carbs are complex. Veggies, but I do eat fruit too. It didn't come across right when I read the original post over. For some reason when I eat oatmeal it fills me up at first and then I am really hungry. Sometimes the Steel cut oats keeps me full. I stay away from juice. I try not to drink my calories. I mostly drink water and the occasional smoothy.
Mandyplus2 ..
on 5/3/11 11:25 pm - GA
Oatmeal does that to me too. I think it's more of a slider food since it's mushy. What I do is divide up my portion throughout the day to eat as a snack. I eat 1/4c at a time (with protein powder mixed in), 2-3 times a day.

I have to work to get carbs in most days. I eat carbs specifically because they are muscle sparing. I've noticed a big difference in my energy and muscle development when I started eating carbs, but it's still easier or more "natural" for me to eat protein and fat instead. Both protein and fat are more satiating as well!
 5'8" - 40 years old

DK35
on 5/4/11 12:54 am - Campbell, CA
You look amazing. I will sometimes have oatmeal as an after workout meal. My breakfast is mainly protein and fat. I have an egg, two slices of turkey bacon and high fiber toast. Lunch is usually tilapia filet, 1/2 yam and veggies. I'm still learning how to eat properly. I mean recovery meals, eating the right foods 20 minutes or so after a strong workout. I still want to turn to food in times of stress. We will have to keep in touch. I still need help learning to eat right. It looks like you have it down. One of the reasons I posted this was because I went to a Nor Cal VSG meet-up and most everyone ate only protein and their portions weren't amazingly small, even the people who were a year out or more. No carbs at all really. Talk to you later.
Kim S.
on 5/4/11 3:10 am - Helena, AL
I had to increase my carbs when I started working out hard...otherwise I got nauseous and dizzy.  I have a few crackers with hard cheese about 30 mins before a workout and it helps so much.

I don't "count" carbs...but I have about 80-100 per day...which is a lot for some folks...but most come from "good" carb sources.....not white junk.

Kim

MacMadame
on 5/4/11 10:18 am - Northern, CA
I mostly eat low carb for my meals and snacks but I consume the same sorts of food non-surgical freaks eat for the actual exercise. So I have some fruit or veggies before working out, a sports drink or gels during and then a recovering drink or food after.

My average carbs per day the last time I checked were around 165-180. This is still technically low carb as anything under 200 is considered low carb but I think most low carbers would have a cow at that many.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

DK35
on 5/4/11 4:07 pm - Campbell, CA
We missed you at the VSG meet-up at Vasona. I figure it was because you were doing a triathlon.
Most Active