over ambitious?

BigCaliSmile
on 5/21/11 2:17 pm - La Puente, CA
I started really reading and posting a few weeks ago.  I feel so motivated when  reading everyone's activity. Today I went to the gym and I have personal trainer sessions I had purchased banked and was not sure when to use them. Well I survived day 1. I didnt think I was in that bad shape but I was literally on the verge of tears after 15 minutes of attempting squats with 10 pound weights and a barbell 20 pounds each end plus various other free weight exercises. I did make it though its only a grueling half hour I do gotta admit I never sweat like that in my life. My question is can someone give me some tips/hints on how to approach my new trainer with requesting less lbs? When I left that place I could barely walk and felt like a over cooked noodle. Or am I over reacting and thats normal?
I told him I am hoping to lose 15 pounds a month and his reply was I can get you there in two weeks?!
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 10:00 pm
You are the boss.  He works for you.  Tell him less weight//more reps or whatever you want to do.  You want to start a fitness program that is a sustainable lifestyle change.  Something you love and are able to maintain.  This does not sound like it is embarking upon that path.

Can you get a different trainer at your gym?  I "get" that some people want the drill sgt-like trainer but not everyone does.  I worked with a wonderful trainer my first 6 mths after wls.  He turned into a nazi-trainer within the last year and I wouldn't go back to him.  Thats not the type of person I want to train with.  I want to be encouraged and challenged but I have no desire for a Jillian Michaels wanna-be.  The comment about the "I can get you there in two weeks" would raise red flags for me. 

This is JMHO.  Others may say differently---

Good luck and don't let this bring you down.  I have tried many many different things in order to find my "niche" in the world of fitness.  You'll find yours too!!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/21/11 10:52 pm - Fort Worth, TX
It it was easy, then it wasn't a workout you attained your true potential. Just keep that in my mind. It sounds like you completed the workouts with the weights he / she suggested so I am not sure why you would request less weight. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it! :) If it is too painful and borderline impossible to complete the workouts with his recommendations, then tell him. Don't be affraid to push yourself and see how strong you really are! Congrats on your first of many more...

As for losing 15 pounds of FAT in 2 weeks, unless you are going to have a 3200 Caloric Deficit EVERYDAY, it aint gonna happen. That's appx how many calories are in 1 pound of body fat. Odds are if you lost that much, the majority would be water weight, which is superficial and not necessary. As many can attest to on this board, the scale is not always a fair indicator of fitness.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

crystal M.
on 5/22/11 12:51 am - Joliet, IL
I have never had a trainer so I would be up front in the beginning.  I work out hard.  When I am done I am covered in sweat.  The first month I worked out I was sore all over.  After awhile it gets better.  Even when I know I over did it and I'm sore walking out of the gym I am usually fine the next day.  I think after awhile your body recovers faster than it does in the beginning.  So it does get better.

That said I would tell the trainer that you don't want to work out that hard.  I mean you do want to be sweating and you will be sore.  But he shouldn't make it so hard that you end up not sticking with it.  I think you need to have a talk about balancing your workout so you get a good workout but not so difficult that you can't walk. 
BigCaliSmile
on 5/22/11 2:50 am - La Puente, CA
Thank you so much for the feedback. I gotta admit when I got home having some dinner I thought has he seen too many episodes of biggest loser? I dont feel half as sore as I did when I wrote that inital post last night. I think all the reply-posts really gave me some really good suggestions and encouragement and food for thoght. I told him I would call him if I come in today we arranged just to do weekends because the location and work schedule till July /Aug(I may be off work those months, I know one thing at a time) I will be upfront with him. I do plan on seeing him today its upper body he had said. Hopefully next time I bring this up I will be posting before after pics with results in a few months :)  (And I had thought I might try px90.  a few weeks ago that is my wish list for later) exercise sure is a wake up to reality. thanks everyone!
Kim S.
on 5/23/11 7:07 am - Helena, AL
Hang in there....although this does sound agressive as far as the amount of weight for someone just starting out, it appears you lived through it and maybe the trainer knows best.  Only you can speak for your body--do not let a trainer push you to a point of injury.  If you really cannot do something, speak up. 

I am so proud of you and look forward to having you as a P90X partner!  (Most of my P90X'ers gave up so it is just me at home doing it now (DD does it sometimes with me))

Kim

BigCaliSmile
on 5/23/11 11:32 am - La Puente, CA
You're success is really inspiring Kim. Thanks for posting your thoughts and encouragement.
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 5/23/11 9:26 am - Belleville, IL
What is the GOAL you are wanting to attain?
Just a loss of "numbers" (weight) on a scale?
Loss of inches on your body?
A curvy, more muscular  and sexier you?

I do serious weightlifting/bodybuilding and there is no way I would ever do 15 minutes solid of squats!
That's not how weightlifting works.
Each 1 movement you do (the correct form) is called a rep (short for repetition) if you do 8, 10 or 12 reps it's called a "set".

You could work on lifting barbells of HUNDREDS of pounds of weight and you will not "bulk up" because you are a women (unless your injecting anabolic steroids or testosterone, I doubt you are *wink*)

Anyway, a normal day for me at the gym is:
15 minutes of cardio warm up on an elliptical or treadmill or whatever you like.
Then hitting the machines and free weights (barbells, dumbells, etc)... I usually do about 10-12 reps and 2-3 sets... You MUST, absolutely MUST wait 45 seonds to a minute between each "set" because that is when the magic happens! (You muscle being broken down and repairing itself).

The weight itself should be something you FEEL but not painful...The last 2-3 reps should always be kinda "hard" and tiring but not impossible. If it is, your lifting to much...On the other hand, if you can kick out 12 reps with not much strain, you are lifting to light.

Do a set, REST, do another set, REST, DRINK (hydrate) move onto the next exercise.
if your trainer is having you do squats for a solid 15 minutes, then no offense, but that is not correct and you will just hurt yourelf and resent working at the gym.

Go to bodybuilder.com  you can find and AWESOME plan there, for free (gives you the exercises to do, and a sample menu plan and everything.)

Good luck.
Warmly,
Jackie

BigCaliSmile
on 5/23/11 11:31 am - La Puente, CA

Thanks Jackie,
I really appreciate you taking out the time to post and give me some pointers. I plan on taking your advice and the warnings on the pace. I will check out that website I dont want to allow this to detour me from getting to my goal (teehee) Ill take the curvy more muscular sexy me, not to mention dropping those inches .

MacMadame
on 5/24/11 5:42 am - Northern, CA
I don't know what shape you are in but those weights are ones that I do now and I'm pretty fit. And losing 15 pounds in 2 weeks? That sounds crazy!

The main thing, though, is how you recover from this workout. If you can't do *anything* for a few days because you are so sore, then it's not good in the long run. You want to be sore and feel like you worked out but still be able to do your other workouts. Now the first couple of weeks as you get used to doing this sort of workout, you will be sorer than later on, but you still don't want to have to take more than 1 day off after every workout in the beginning or you will not get as fit as you could get doing an easier workout.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active