Curves anyone?

nikkii76
on 5/24/11 12:33 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Im thinking of joing Curves but I dont know anyone who has tried it. Anyone out here who has some insite would be great...

Pros - Cons?
Time schedule problems?
Cost?

What if anything did you like about it?
What if anything did you dislike about it?

~~ Nikkii76 ~~

nate2009
on 5/24/11 12:48 am - Lebanon, OH
They always give me a funny look and tell me I'm not allowed in !!!!! I think they are a bunch of snobs
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Paul C.
on 5/24/11 1:00 am - Cumming, GA
How odd they wouldn't let me in either. Even when I had boobs bigger than some of the people I saw going in, so I know it isn't based on the size of your rack.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
crystal M.
on 5/24/11 1:44 am - Joliet, IL
PROS-
-I think it's great for a beginner. 
-The exercises are done at your pace. 
-If you are intimidated by walking into a gym with lots of buff bodies, this is also a good place to go. None of that here. 
-The women at my Curves were very nice, enthusiastic, always remembered my name. 
-I felt like it was a place I can workout at 350 lbs and not be stared at. 
-They have monthly weigh-ins (don't worry they are discrete) and they have a way of motivating you.  
- the cost at my Curves was $40 a month.

CONS-
The hours at my Curves were a little limited.  I would have liked to see more late night and weekend hours.
I don't think it's a place I would get a good workout anymore.  I have progressed beyond what they can offer me.  When you become more fit you may find you need something more challenging.    
nikkii76
on 5/24/11 2:06 am - Eden Prairie, MN
cmagouirk, Thank you so much. I think I will walk in and check it out now and see what if anything brings me to want to try it out. I do like all of your Pros!

~~ Nikkii76 ~~

MacMadame
on 5/24/11 5:31 am - Northern, CA
My experience is similar to cmagourik's. I think it's a good starting place but it's a very limited workout and you fast outgrow it. I like my gym now -- they have 100 different classes every week and tons of equipment and choices.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Reddheadd7
on 5/24/11 6:38 am - CA
I just signed up (again) yesterday.  At this point I hate gyms. I had a membership for 2 yrs and went 4 times and finally figured out I just don't want to be there! So I agree, Curves is for beginner/intermediate and a lot of the members are an older crowd but who doesn't like to see a bunch of old ladies keeping fit! I think it's great. I like the structure, you know exactly what you're doing and there's no guessing. You're in, you're out and you don't feel like you're in a prison yard with all those ginormous men doing free weights. Cardio and strengthening sounds good to me! *flex*

Good luck!

nikkii76
on 5/24/11 7:15 am - Eden Prairie, MN
I think I will check it out right after memorial day. I called the one by me and I can try it for a week! kinda excited now.

~~ Nikkii76 ~~

shandel_99
on 5/24/11 1:17 pm - AL
Curves for me was a good place.  Had a great experience.  One reply said the hours where a bit of a problem.  Same here.  However, it is true.  you do out grow it.  When I was a member there, I really toned up and such.  However, my husband's overtime hours were cut so there went the money for the dues.

I soon fell out of my excercise routine and bla, bla, bla.   All in all, Curves was a great place for me. No men and no mirrors.  hahaha
Most Active