Afraid of Falling - Again

Cheryl W.
on 7/4/11 2:29 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
I fell one week ago jogging.  I tripped on the smallest of curb bumps, started to recover, couldn't and fell flat, in slow motion, sliding into the street, and getting nasty road rash on my left inside arm, and both palms.   A week later the rashes have almost healed but my psyche has not.  I know I need to jog, but I'm scared.  This was my second fall (the first was several months ago on a wooden boardwalk).  I know I need to pick up my damn feet, I know I need to watch where I'm going, but I get distracted or tired.  Running outside is the better workout, but I think I'm gonna just use the treadmill at the gym.  At least if I fall there, all I'll get is rug burn.
 HW:  258  SW:  237 CW:  152      
(deactivated member)
on 7/4/11 7:06 am
Maybe do a shorter, slower run outdoors to get you back on track.  Our minds are a powerful tool--and you can focus on the negative (falling again) or you can focus on the positive (that you will not let this fall mentally break you down).  You can do this---  if you can do it on the TM, you can hit the streets again.
panhead58fl
on 7/4/11 10:56 am - Barboursville, WV

Ouch! I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I was doing a long run in town on level side walk and was nearing the end, wasn't thinking I guess and next thing I'm falling. I go to hurry the next step and catch myself and my mind was telling my foot to move faster but for some reason it didn't listen. By the time I realized I was going to hit the ground it was to late. I didn't even get my hands up. Knee, shoulder and worst of all glasses took the worst of it. I ended up having to replace my glasses. Taught me to pay attention when I am near the end of a long run. My suggestion is to start with short runs to build your confidence back up and be aware when your getting tired. For the longest time I would tell my self, "lift your knees"!

pan head

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 12:41 am - TX
Last summer (prior to surgery and weight loss) I was running and stepped HARD off a curb, lost my footing, and fell. Ended up with a stress fracture in my right foot and ankle that took three months to get over and still didn't run well for 3 months after THAT.

Its hard to get back going. I think if you are comfortable running on the treadmill that is as good a place as any to build things back up; then graduate to outside from there.
Most Active