Muscle and DS surgery

nmscuba
on 7/8/11 3:19 am - kingsley, MI
Hi,

I have my first WLS seminar next week and I will be getting one of the WLS based on the Drs recommendations, but my hope is for the DS surgery.

I am a bulky guy, My bmi is 38.9 but due to working out on and off most of my life I have a good amount of muscle in my chest, back, arms etc  

But weight gain and control has been a problem most my life which only got worse when I had radio active iodine treatment to kill of my thyroid, Now i make fat very easy and im up to 256lb. 

A very good weight for me would be around 180 to 190 with the muscle mass I have now at 52 yrs old.

So my question is for thoseDS'r  that weight train, do or did you lose much muscle mass after surgery? Were you able to gain lean muscle mass after DS surgery?  etc 

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
nate2009
on 7/8/11 3:38 am - Lebanon, OH
I am not a ds'er but have had thyroid cancer and 2 surgeries and 3 treatments of radioactive iodine. Here's the deal, with any surgery you will lose muscle mass along with fat if you don't fight to keep it. My suggestion is as soon as you are cleare start lifting! This will slow the scale loss but not the fat loss. I waited way too long to start and am regretting it daily.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
nmscuba
on 7/8/11 4:07 am - kingsley, MI
Nate,

Thanks for the info, I had read your profile and seen you went though a lot.  That is my goal is to start as soon as possible.

If I have to lose muscle so be it, but as a guy who has lifted on and off by nature we like to maintain it if possible

I guess I was conerned with the malabsorption of DS if it would be hard to get enough protein and calories to build muscle while still losing fat so I guess time will tell and it will be what it is.

Getting rid of the weight and being healthy is my main goal, building or maintain muscle is secondary
Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
nate2009
on 7/8/11 4:09 am - Lebanon, OH
Drink as much protein as possible and lift hard when cleared !!!!
Paul C.
on 7/8/11 4:13 am, edited 7/8/11 4:13 am - Cumming, GA
I am not a DS'er either, but have seen a few posts where DSers have had issues with the malabsorbtion being so significant and it's affect on intense exercise or weights.  This may be something you might want to address with your Surgeon. I do have read that some DS surgeons are tailoring the length of the Common Channel to fit more with the needed amount of malabsorbtion.

If you check the DS Board someone there should be able to help you with what they call the DS math, which takes into account the malabsorbtion aspects and can give you an idea of what you might be looking at.

Good Luck!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MacMadame
on 7/8/11 6:55 am, edited 7/8/11 7:00 am - Northern, CA
 I'm not a DSer either but I lost relatively little muscle after surgery. I think it's inevitable to lose *some*. After all, it's less work to move a 150 pound body around than a 250 pound body so you don't need all the muscle you've built up over the years being morbidly obese. But you can minimize it with exercise.

I was able to keep a lot just by swimming, biking and running. I started weight training when I got close to goal and that helped with my speed but I'm not sure it put on any extra muscle. I think I wasn't doing enough of it and my trainer wasn't working me hard enough (he was concerned I wouldn't be able to do my other workouts if I had a lot of muscle soreness).

I didn't start packing on muscle until I started doing a heavy Crossfit-based workout 3-5x a week. And eating a lot. It's hard to put on muscle if you aren't eating a surplus of calories.

Now I have guns and my calf muscles (in particular) are envied by many in my triathlon club. 
It tickles me to be a 50-something woman and have muscles that rival some of the young whippersnappers.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

nate2009
on 7/8/11 7:40 am - Lebanon, OH
LIKE!!!!!
superconducting
on 7/8/11 12:00 pm - Montgomery, NY
 We're gonna need some pictures :)

Most Active