Weird exercise challenge from my surgeon!

KatCooper
on 8/17/11 7:37 am - Collierville, TN
 Hi all.  I met with my surgeon today for my 6 week check up.  As we were discussing my exercise goals (my first is a 5k in October) he suggested joining their bariatric triathlon team for their yearly triathlon this time next year.   So....I have a year to prepare.....but I am not sure of the best way to do it.     I am currently 250, and live in ND.  I have exercise to a bare bones workout area that has a stationary bike and a recumbent bike.  I currently only have a "granny" bike that I take to work, but my son has a nice trek that I could use.   I only have access to a pool during the summer time.  
So I can work on the bike and run part, but any suggestions on the swimming?  Also, any general training suggestions?  I am currently working the couch to 5 K program and also weight loss yoga.  If anyone has any suggestions on training or a workout program they suggest I would appreciate it.  This would be a huge goal for me and I want to make sure I can adequately train for this before I commit to it.  I appreciate any suggestions!!!!!

Thanks, 
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

MacMadame
on 8/17/11 6:33 pm - Northern, CA
That's cool they have a team!

First, I'd ask the team what they do for swim training. 

I started training for my first tri using the treadmill and a stationary bike. I eventually bought a bike (my son was using mine and got it stolen). I used Couch-to-5K for the running and, when it got warmer and I got a bike, started biking outside.

My tri club had a swim workout every week that I went to to learn to how swim. I thought I knew how but it turned out I was doing everything wrong. They also had open water swim practices about once a month that I went to.

That's it for my first 3 tris. They were short distances and I did fine. When I started to think about longer distances, I started working out more often and being more serious about it. I even got a coach at one point.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

mcarthur01
on 8/17/11 10:47 pm - Cumming, GA
nothing weird about that!  i also think it is really cool that they/you have a team.  i second marie's advice, i would query the team regarding swim workouts and logistics.  good luck!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

KatCooper
on 8/17/11 11:24 pm - Collierville, TN
Thanks guys!  I plan on contacting the team to get training advice as well.   I appreciate the feedback!

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

rjsams
on 8/18/11 12:43 am - Eagan, MN
So cool!  Good for you!

I have also decided to train for a Sprint Tri for next year.  I have been running since the spring, working up to a 10K run this fall, so I'm pretty comfortable with that portion of it.  I still have a long way to go on speed, tho. 

I am thinking of purchasing a bike this weekend--looking for a used one.  I'm told that at the Sprint Tris you will see all kinds of bikes, so I'm not necessarily getting a road bike--I'd rather have a hybrid, so I could commute to work on it, too. 

Have you checked with your local schools on the swimming?  Our local district has lap swim times for adults--you can purchase a series of passes and just drop in.  They also have stroke coaching for adults for fitness or triathlon training.  I think I am going to sign up for a session of that this fall  It's $110 for twice a week coaching for two months, I don't think that's too bad.

Check out BeginnerTri.com for some training info.  Also, I purchased a book on doing your first Triathlon--I haven't finished it yet, but it has lots of good info. 

I love that you have a Bariatric Triathlon team--having a team to train with is awesome!

MacMadame
on 8/18/11 3:44 am - Northern, CA
 Oh and on the book front, I recommend "Slow, Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams.

JsSkinnyMom
on 8/19/11 3:28 am - Youngsville, LA
lol  Love that title!  I'm not a triathlete but I am slow and fat so maybe I should give it a look! 
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Seht
on 8/18/11 5:47 am
Oh I like When Big Boys Tri for a good book.
here is their web site
http://www.whenbigboystri.com/

I have that and the book that Marie recommended.
I thought this one was more entertaining, the other book felt like they were trying too hard to be humorous and it just didn't come off well.
They were both decent enough books, just personal preference on writing styles.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 8/18/11 8:21 am - Northern, CA
It may be a boy-girl thing too. I can relate better to a big girl than a big boy. 

KatCooper
on 8/21/11 10:43 am - Collierville, TN
 Thanks for all of the suggestions!!  i have decided to go for it!!  Thanks again!!
Kat

Most Active