Run: Abdominal Cramping

John V.
on 9/13/11 11:54 am - MN
 Any ideas on how to prevent this during a run?  I'm a complete running newbie.  Hit me at about 3.5 miles on Sunday and very soon at 1.5 miles today.  

Today it was probably 1-1.5 hrs after dinner, so maybe that's what did it.  

In searching the googly-web it sounds like a full stomach may make it harder to breathe (didn't feel like it was) and that reduce lung capacity could cause cramps.  ????

Anyway, any tips?  Is it food and drink related?  Should I try to put more time inbetween eating/drinking and a run? 

Slowing to a walk definitely helped, once I started up again it came back. 

HW:  280  /  SW: 250  /  GW#1: 175  /  GW#2: 160  /  GW#3: 150 / CW: 147.8    
 Includes 30 lbs lost pre-surgery.    
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 12:46 pm
I don't know your generall physical conditioning level, how long you have been running nor am I totally familiar with RNY factos so keep that in mind since I don't even run and am Pre-op for VSG.  LOL

My first thougth is not so much your timing of your meal but maybe electrolytes.  That would be especially true if you weren't having any breathing problems.  Do you use a HRM and if so, are you seeing anyting odd from that? 

Are you taking sports drinks on your runs?  Generally these aren't essential for short periods of moderate exercise but I always take these products with me for the fact I sweat a lot.  

Just an idea but I'm certain the RNY folks might have other thoughts.

MacMadame
on 9/13/11 3:24 pm - Northern, CA
First of all, when you say "adominal cramping," what do you mean? Is this a stitch or is this the beginnings of gastric distress?

Gastric distress while running is an issue with many people and has nothing to do with WLS. Some people just find their digestive system shuts down when they run and this causes whatever is in there to come out. Abdominal cramps is the first sign and/or gassiness. If you are "lucky", then diarrhea follows. Whee!

In fact, I tell peple who are constipated to go for a run. It's the best 'natural' laxitive I know! LOL

Anyway, I have experimented and found what works for me. Some of this might work for you, but some might not.

The first thing is to not run on a full stomach. I can eat right up until I start exercising if I'm biking. I can eat up to 30 min. before if I'm swimming. For running, I want my stomach to be as empty as possible. If I'm hungry and it's time for a run, I will not eat something because I know it will come back to haunt me. Or I'll eat something and put off the run until I feel completely comfortable in the tummy again.

The second is to not take in much liquid or calories during the run. You can exercise for up to an hour on water alone, with no need for sports drink, gels, electrolytes, etc. So that's what I do. For longer runs, I do bring stuff to consume, but I am careful with what I bring.

I've tried a lot of stuff and I find what works best for me is water and something solid. Other people can't handle solid food and they stick to sports drinks and gels and stuff like that. This is the area where everyone is different so you just have to try things.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

John V.
on 9/14/11 1:45 am - MN
 Thanks (to both of you) for the insight and advice!

Sorry, to clarify "abdominal cramping," it's defnitely muscular in origin.  Actually even a day or two later (after the Sunday run) it felt like I had done a ton of crunches (on the right side) and the muscle was recovering.  

My guess is that this might be food related, as I had eaten dinner an hour before.  Since I'm primarily a cyclist, I'm probably more used to being able to eat and ride and should space food and running out a bit more.  I'll try that today and see if that helps! :)

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/14/11 12:01 am - Fort Worth, TX
It also could have been something you ate. Stay away from the fiber before running, and try to stick with jus****er on runs right now while you are ramping up your distance...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

John V.
on 9/15/11 6:10 am - MN
John V.
on 9/15/11 6:11 am - MN
 Well... went out for a 4.5 mile run yesterday and had the same problem.  Probably had about 4 hrs between my last meal and my run.  I'm fairly certain, after reading Mac's post and then doing some research that it's a "stitch."   Had never heard of such a thing but appears to be exactly what I'm feeling. 

Good link here:  http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

Looks like I need to think a bit more about my breathing AND my eating to try to work things out. 

Thanks again everyone for your advice!
John
Most Active