Tips for Bad Knees

AudLight
on 9/19/11 8:43 pm - GA
I am about 9 months out from surgery and I have recently started running.  I have never been a runner, even when I was relatively fit in high school.  I am finding that I really enjoy it.  I started doing the couch to 5k program and, after modifying the plan a bit, I am up to a point where I can run about 2.1 miles of the total 3.11 miles in the 5k.  The problem is my knee.  It has really been bothering me the last couple of times I have gone running.  I run on a treadmill.  I tried a knee sleeve but that really made it hurt more when I did my walking intervals.  My knee definitely gives me more pain while walking than while actually running, and today I am having trouble moving it at all.  

Any tips for helping out my knees?  How much pain is too much pain?

I was a goalie for soccer in high school which involved a lot of diving onto my knees and I have injured my knees several times in my life.  I like running but I am afraind my knees will not allow it.  I am a teacher so I have to be able to move around during the day, and today I am pretty much going to have to confine myself to a chair cause moving hurts a lot.  
   - Audrey

JsSkinnyMom
on 9/19/11 8:52 pm - Youngsville, LA
I don't have any answers for you but just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I just started running too and started having a little trouble with my left knee. Thankfully, the knee brace helped me a lot and got me back on the road in just a few days. I hope you feel better soon so you can continue running. I'm sure the others here will have tons of advice for you!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
MacMadame
on 9/20/11 7:35 am - Northern, CA
Knee problems while running generally have a few causes. The most likely culprit is either your form or your running shoes. Getting fit for the right running shoes by an expert is key as is replacing them when they wear out -- generally every 300-400 miles, but also I find they don't tend to last more than 6 months no matter how little they get used.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 9/20/11 8:41 am
Good shoes with a good fit from a real running store where they can evaluate your gate and make a recommendation on an appropriate shoe to give you the support you need.

Kinesio tape or rock tape or whatever brand you prefer.  Check out youtube and do a search for kinesio tape there are plenty of videos on how to tape your aches and pains to support your activity.

Start small, don't go out tomorrow and try to run a 1/2 marathon.  Slowly increase your mileage, don't abuse your body.

Find a non impact activity to support your running/fitness.  Check out the elliptical machines and the bicycles.  Use them to get your heart rate up and build fitness without taking the pounding on your knees.  I'm not saying give up on running, just suppliment it or take some days off to give yourself a chance to recover.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active