Trip Report - Hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

SharonG
on 9/22/11 12:00 am - Arlington, VA

Good morning,
I promised to report back on my experiences hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.  The hike was 45 Km (about 28 miles) over 3 mountain passes, the highest climb and descent was over 3500 ft up and down in a single day.  I am happy to say that I survived the trip intact!  I hiked and camped 3 nights and 4 days before reaching Machu PIcchu.  High altitude hiking was a new experience for me, but I don't believe it affected me dramatically worse than normies who never had the DS.  I took diamox and drank the coca tea as suggested.  I did notice more shortness of breath than usual, but I found that improved when I doubled my iron intake.  Just a theory, but I think our bodies start working overtime to produce red blood cells when the air is so thin and those of us who do not have a lot of iron supplies feel it a bit more.  I actually started feeling a bit better after I doubled the dosage. 

While it was tough,  I am happy that I accomplished something that seemed so out of reach just a few years ago.  I never would have attempted something like this at my top weight of 285 lbs and with several co-morbidities! 

I have pasted a few of the wonderful views along the way below.

Best wishes,
Sharon

Sunrise from the tent - day 3

On the trail in the cloud forest

Amazing Views of ruins only assessible via the trail

Dawn in the Andes

KatCooper
on 9/22/11 12:18 am - Collierville, TN
 what an amazing trip!!!  The pictures look amazing!  Congrats on your journey!
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

superconducting
on 9/22/11 12:22 am - Montgomery, NY
 what an amazing trip and journey.  Spectacular!   

Seht
on 9/22/11 1:42 am
That is absolutely awesome.

Congrats on the trip.  It looks like a wonderful life memory.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

mcarthur01
on 9/22/11 3:41 am - Cumming, GA
wow, sound like an incredible experience.  congrats on the trip and accomplishment.  the pictures are really beautiful.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

SharonG
on 9/22/11 3:59 am - Arlington, VA

Thanks, everyone!  It's amazing how our life can change, huh?

Sharon

Rob S.
on 9/22/11 5:53 am - DE
Life is just fun when you can do things like that. Enjoy your memories.

Rob  

Most Active