New to Running/Eating Carbs???

LinR
on 10/19/11 9:14 am
I just started running this summer.  I am up to 5.7 miles.  It takes me 1:20, but I'm ok with that.  Just trying to build my endurance.  Am running my first 5K with a couple women at work this weekend.  I have been reading the running magazines and am really confused with how to eat.  I have a RNY and usually eat low carb.  I don't seem to have dropped any weight this summer while running.  Would like to shed about 6 lbs and keep increasing my distance.

My blood sugar sometimes runs low in the AM.  I find if I eat 1/2 a protein bar, I come up to the 100s and so far have been good for my runs.

Any advice would help regarding how often to run and what to eat.  Thanks.  Lin

Marcia B.
on 10/19/11 10:15 am - CA
My nutritionist told me that with all that working out I needed to add in good carbs before exercise, said to have a piece of fruit before and a protein bar after working out.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

LinR
on 10/20/11 10:59 am
Thanks.  I have heard that and think I will try that on my long run days.

Seht
on 10/20/11 2:17 am
When I was working out every day some times 2x a day, I was having low blood sugar issues and issues with being tire.

The nutritionist had me add a healthy snack before and after my workouts.
For the longer endurance days, you may need to learn to eat during your workout.
Gel packets, banana, granola/protein bar something like that.

Each person is different and what their body will tolerate.

Just remember if your workouts decrease, you have to decrease that food.
If you don't, you may see some weight gain or a stall.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

LinR
on 10/20/11 11:03 am
Thanks.  My son was telling me about a 1oz gel called GEU that had a lot of carbs but not a lot of sugar.  I think I may try that for during my long runs.  I can't imagine trying to chew and swallow food while running.  Maybe I'm supposed to stop and walk while I do that--not sure as I have only had sips of water while running so far.

Most Active