support when you can - so worth it!!

Sue M.
on 3/5/12 12:31 am - Nantucket, MA
 This weekend John and I played around NEAR athletic endeavors, but did not actually DO any exercise.  

The most important/special thing we did was VOLUNTEER at a local 30k.  We are probably going to join a local running club (we've run in two of their races and love their attitude), but to get a little more feel for them we volunteered for this race.  We worked 2 water stations on the course and met some great people, and of course cheered on the runners.  Was very glad to discover that most, if not all runners, thank the volunteers.  I usually do (when I'm not completely struggling) during a race, because they are out there sweating/getting sunburned or in our case, freezing our butts of getting splashed with gatorade and water and getting no PR or calories burned in return.  

It was very rewarding, don't get me wrong.  I loved meeting the people, seeing the determination on the runners faces, and knowing that I was offering them something that they needed.  I was paying it forward and backward for every run I plan to race in the future, and I know I will volunteer at many races in the future, too.  

I encourage everything to do it once in a while.  You will learn about how races are put together and get a new appreciation for the community.  You even get a t-shirt. ;)
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
mcarthur01
on 3/5/12 5:33 am - Cumming, GA
wait a tick... you get a shirt for volunteering too?  man, i could have gotten shirts without all that extra effort of competing!  :)

but seriously, i totally agree, i've volunteered a couple of times and it's definitly worth it.  and for karma's sake, if you race a lot, you really need to give back as well.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active