Running: Any tips for someone who would like to take on a running routine for the first time?

congarich
on 4/11/12 10:39 pm - Scranton, PA
Hello everyone:

I had my RNY in 2007 and have lost a lot of weight but in the past 6-8 months have put some back on...... about 25 lbs. For about the first three years post-op, I was really good with making sure I did some sort of exercise each day. However, I started a doctoral program and it all went downhill from there. I know it's all in forcing myself to take the time for myself, but time management was never ever my forte.

This summer I would like to focus on, or try to, beginning a running routine. For years, I have been the person who sees people running and I think everytime "if only I could get up, run for 30 minutes each day". It just seems like a no brainer sure way to remain in shape. However, I know I can't (at this point) get up and simply run for 30 mins nor do I want to try to. I know that if I don't do it in a way that is less taxing but gradually builds toward success I will just quit and that would be that.

Has anyone been in this position (beginning, never ran before) and willing to share some tips with me? I want to get this extra weight off. I'm returning to my nutritionist soon with full intent of getting back to the gastric way of living. The weather here in PA is getting warmer and much nicer so I would love to get started on the running as soon as I can. I just want to be sure I do it the right way, or the easiest way that will help me ease into it and will foster my liking it rather than looking at it as a grueling part of my daily routine.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice.
Gail S.
on 4/11/12 11:31 pm - New York, NY
I did active.com's Couch to 5k program. I downloaded the app to my iphone. It was awesome. It's all walking/running intervals that build you up to running for 30 minutes. I know people say it all the time, but if I could do it anyone could do it! I believe it was an 8 or 9 week program. I started in the fall and ran a 4 mile race at midnight on New Year's Eve. It was a perfect way to start the new year. Check it out. I highly recommend the program!

LinR
on 4/12/12 12:46 am
I had never run before starting the couch potato to 5 K program at age 58 last June.  I was not sure I could ever get to 3 miles.  My 28 year old son had started running and kept telling me it was not my body that stopped me but my mind.-- It was  that thought that kept me going. 

I celebrted my 59th Birthday in September by reaching 4 miles and  ran my first 5K that  month with some women at work.  I got up to 6 miles last Fall.   I'm planning to do a 10K this year. The women at work -- age 30-40 want me to do a half marathon-- We'll see.

If you want to run, it does help to read some of the magazines for motivation, Runners World,
Women Running--I think that's the name.

Somedays you will have to push yourself to get out there, but once you get past the first mile,
it's great.

Have fun.

Carol S.
on 4/12/12 3:18 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Couch to 5K is how I started.  You might like Dr.Mama's blog http://doctormama.blogspot.com/.

Welcome!  I went from saying no never to running 15 miles a few weeks ago (I started kind of trying to run last November or so). 

Slow, easy, and relish in that runners high because it really is the best.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

LinR
on 4/12/12 4:34 am
15 miles is great.  What an inspiration for the rest of us.

Sam LifeNerd
on 4/12/12 5:30 am
 Couch to 5k is what I am doing, Day 1 yesterday, Day 2 tomorrow so I am a newb too!!

Paid $1.99 for my app, I play my regular music and then the voice kicks in, "Start Running" and then "Ok, good job, start walking"

It will increase the length of the running sessions as you go through the program!

ruggie
on 4/12/12 5:48 pm - Sacramento, CA
Couch to 5K program!  All the way!  I just finished the training this week, did it in two months!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

congarich
on 4/12/12 11:01 pm - Scranton, PA
Thank you everyone for your advice!

It seems overwhelming, and I just downloaded it, that Couch to 5K is where I should start. Thank you so much for sharing this with me and hopefully my experience will be as successful as all of yours!

rjsams
on 4/13/12 12:57 am - Eagan, MN
I vote for the C25K also.  That's how I started, just over a year ago. 

There will still be days when it is a slog--that "runner's high" is not always apparent.  I do know that, however I feel when I start running, I will feel better afterward, and that helps keep me going.  One other trick I have is to listen to audiobooks rather than music.  I am only allowed to listen to the current book when I am exercising, so if I want to hear what happens next, out the door I go.  And then I save the music for races, so the tempo works on me and helps me go faster. 

I also suggest finding a nice, low-key 5K race in your area for the end of your program.  I like having a race on the calendar--not that I think I am going to win (I never will!) but it is a challenge for me and keeps me motivated.

I am just two weeks away from my first ever half-marathon!  Yikes!

Carol S.
on 4/14/12 12:39 am - Milwaukee, WI
 I'm on the calendar for my first half marathon on th 28th.  Good luck!
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active