first 5k this Saturday

Carrie W.
on 4/25/12 12:51 pm - KY
Yeah and I'm terrified! 

I was doing great, getting in 4.5 miles or so every morning before work and feeling great.  I was also lifting weights and going to spin and yoga classes.  Then I had to have emergency surgery due to some scar tissue from my original surgery.  That was 5 weeks ago.

I've worked back to the same distances but not as consistently as I was doing before.  I have to be at work at 5am so running before work is HARD!  I sort of lost my momentum.  

But I'm racing this weekend.  I WILL.  So far the race goal has kept me motivated.  I really do like to run too and really, really like the high afterwards. 

Any advice for a first timer?  My one big question is what to do abou****er.  I CAN make it without but ...  

Thanks and wish me luck!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

LJ1972
on 4/25/12 1:08 pm - FL
Awesome!!
I have done a lot of walking 5ks.... have worked on jogging a whole one but not there yet. All of the ones I have done I drank lots of water the night before, had a protein shake for breakfast. I usually get there early so I have another water. (I am in Florida). They also have cups of water at the halfway mark here....so I would imagine you'll be fine!
Carrie W.
on 4/25/12 1:16 pm - KY
Thanks! 

I'm not sure I'll be able to jog the whole thing.  I've only been running outside on asphalt for the last two weeks. 

I'm hoping for water along the way.  Like I said, I can do it without.  I do a 3.75 miles loop at the park without but it's something to stress over.  

mcarthur01
on 4/25/12 10:23 pm - Cumming, GA
my advice for anybody doing their first 5K is simple.  1) smile, 2) enjoy yourself, 3) thank the volunteers.  that's it :)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

alpal1015
on 4/28/12 12:22 am - Manalapan, NJ
Dont be scared - I can tell you that with the adrenaline of the race, the competition and all the people cheering you on, you can easily double the amount you run on a normal day. Take it slow and steady and like everyone says, enjoy it. It's one of the most amazing feelings in the world crossing that finish line. Good luck!
Carrie W.
on 4/28/12 3:23 am - KY
Thanks y'all! I did it and it was so much fun. I'm planning another one on 5/19. We jogged probably 80% of it and finished in right over 40 minutes. My personal best even on the treadmill!!

LJ1972
on 4/28/12 6:54 am - FL
awesome! Way to go! I have one May 12 that I will probably walk / jog...then May 19 is the one my employer puts on and I really would like to jog the whole thing.
Carrie W.
on 4/29/12 4:06 am - KY
Good luck!! 

I'm doing another one on May 19th too!  I hope to jog that one too. 

LJ1972
on 4/29/12 6:41 am - FL
 I am starting to doubt myself, and wanting to work my distances more - but I really struggle with severe fatigue (as in stumbling my legs feel so heavy - even on "rest days").  My trainer assures me I am doing fine, but I want this sooo much.
Carrie W.
on 4/29/12 7:21 am - KY
That sucks!  I wonder if you're eating enough ...  Or maybe I'm not pushing hard enough?

My biggest problem is my wind.  My legs are willing and able to do whatever I ask.  I've yet to make my legs sore.  Even spin doesn't make me sore.  But I have alot of trouble breathing.  I do have asthma and take meds for it.  My doc says to just push through and it will get better.  I'm super lucky that my pcp is a long time distance runner.  He's been an awesome resource. 

Most Active