High intensity athletics

Jenny C.
on 5/5/12 12:47 pm
I've been doing more serious cycling for a while now, and hubby just bought me a bike computer for my birthday.  Used it today for my 65-mile group ride, had 3800 ft of elevation gain and an average speed of 15.8, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.  Also learned that I burned 2300 calories, and that gives me a little pause.  I am really focusing on good protein and water intake after that (and used Hammer and Cliff Bars during ride), plus trying to bump up calories with good fats, but I really think it would take me a few days to eat 2300 calories (I'm not a tracker, so not sure).  Weight is dropping very slowly, but workouts have really increased in intensity over the last 3 weeks, so I'll keep an eye for any faster drops.  Any advice from seasoned athletes would be appreciated.
thanks,
Jenny

mcarthur01
on 5/6/12 5:47 am - Cumming, GA
nutrition is extremely important as you increase endurance activities, unfortunately, a lot of it will be trial and error and looking at empirical results.  i would take the calorie counters (even on the bike computer and HRM based) with a grain of salt, most are a blunt instrument based on averages, everybody burns calories at a unique rate.  keep up the good work, 65 miles at around 4K of elevation gain around 16MPH is very impressive!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Mom78
on 5/7/12 11:59 am
VSG on 02/10/12
Very impressive, I'm 3 months post op and I'm very interested to know the path you've taken to get to where you are now!
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Jenny C.
on 5/8/12 5:14 am
Hi Mom78,

Wow, you are doing an AWESOME job.  Congrats...do you feel wonderful?

I've been a bicycle commuter from Bainbridge Island, WA to Seattle via ferry for about 6 1/2 years (started at a weight of about 244, lost (gasp) a total of 7 pounds from cycling over the years.  Because I live and work on hills, and get down to sea level for ferry, I have gotten lots of leg strength from biking up hills as an obese person. If you are new to cycling, this is a great time of year to get started. Go slow, stay comfortable-but-always-pushing a little. Increase time on the bike by no more than 5 to 10% at a time, stay at that level for a while, then push up again.
  My surgeon group includes fitness counseling as part of their 2-year follow-up program. I really credit the strength training I’ve done as making me strong as a cyclist.  I started out doing 10 push-ups from a standing position against a kitchen counter, crunches with legs in the air—10 reps of left, center, right crunches, front and side planks, plus a couple of other things. I kept upping intensity as I gained strength (doing these every other day), and now I’m up to 2 sets of 15 reps regular push-ups, 70 reps of the l,c,r crunches, minute-plus planks, plus a few other things. I believe strongly that core strength is a lot of what is making me so strong on the bike.   A huge part of me taking up distance cycling is that I was invited to cycle with a group of women that ride every Sunday. From there, I’ve branched out to 3 other riding groups of differing speeds/intensity levels. I get so much out of biking with a group, and it keeps me enthused and excited for my Saturday and Sunday rides. Plus, a lot of those bike guys are cute (jk, hubby comes with me!!!).   Hope this is helpful, and that you find cycling as rewarding and physically conditioning as I have. Best, Jenny

Most Active