Are vibration machines a good purchase?

Peggy F.
on 11/6/12 3:26 am - Whitby, Canada

New to this forum and wondering if anyone knows much about vibration exercise machines as a good purchase to assist with weight loss, skin and muscle tightening, etc.

I'm not a huge exerciser and I know i really do need to get started with something.  Any advise is good.

Thanks,

Peggy

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/6/12 6:30 am - Fort Worth, TX

I have to admit, the actual post was different than what I thought the title was implying.... LOL.

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Peggy F.
on 11/6/12 10:43 pm - Whitby, Canada

LOL......

OMG.......

That's too funny!  Wow....it hadn't even occurred to me that....that....that.....    Hmmmm

funny

So.....are they a good purchase?

I know the answer is 'yes' to the 'other' vibration options.........lol

Kim S.
on 11/6/12 10:41 pm - Helena, AL

Me too Dan!

The only effective exercise I have any experience with is the kind that requires commitment, effort and increases my breathing....the vibration machine sounds like those things with the belt that "jiggle" you?  Like they used to have in gyms in the 50's and 60's????

Vibration can be a good thing....but I'm not sure how good it is pertaining to exercise!

Kim S.
on 11/7/12 1:55 am - Helena, AL

I did take some time to look into this.  Before today, I'd never heard of it!

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/passive-exerc ise-whole-body-vibration

I also looked at a few other sites and it was about the same info. 

jwc10s
on 11/8/12 2:10 am

Exercise requires some exertion and the surgery requires a commitment to exercise whether it be walking, jogging, running, swimming, biking, lifting weights, yoga, pole dancing, etc....

Time to find something that requires effort on your part and stick with it and follow the plan that your doctor and the WLS program  outlines when you signed up for it.

I have faith you can find a form of physical exertion that you will find enjoyable.

Good Luck!!!

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

GD6
on 11/22/12 4:26 am - Hamilton, Canada

My mom (65) has been going to the gym 4 days a week taking classes (yoga, dancemix etc.. ) for years.  She started hiking 10+ km's a few days a week a couple of years ago and completed the Bruce Trail end to end.  So I would say that she is used to a decent exercise exertion level.

She recently started going to T Zone using the vibration machine and she said the 30 minutes she spends on the machine wipes her out!  She is physically exhausted and really feels like she IS getting a workout on it.  You don't have to just stand on them, people were using exercise balls and sitting on them, doing pushups on them etc....

As an added benefit for her, it relieved her sciatica pain!

She was so impressed with the machine that she's going to buy one.

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Peggy F.
on 11/22/12 9:45 pm - Whitby, Canada

Thanks so much for sharing about your mom.  She sounds incredibly fit....good for her.

The vibration machine is something I am going to consider.  And yes, there are exercises that are done using it, not just standing.  Maybe in the new year I will think more seriously about it. 

Thanks again.

goldenhair
on 11/29/12 1:05 pm

Are you pertaining to Vibration plates? These machines  are good :)

Like any other form of exercise, vibration plates can raise your metabolism as well. Our muscles will get stronger, they use fuel more efficiently, and as your blood circulation improves you'll have more energy. Those are the things the will help our body to burn fat and calories from food much faster so in result, increased metabolism. 

Peggy F.
on 11/29/12 10:37 pm - Whitby, Canada

Yes, vibration machines actually.  I have ordered one and am just waiting for it to arrive.  I'm very excited to get it.  Will post on the progress.

Most Active