Exercise timeline - when did you really start?

staceyp1105
on 1/1/14 3:22 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13
I am not an exercise lover.  But like brushing teeth it has to happen and I know it will be an important part of this whole process.   i am two weeks post op from sleeve surgery.  I am definitely getting and moving around.  Do all more normal things at home, go grocery shopping, etc.  but I haven't started "officially" exercising.   still have one incision that is sore and limits me. Still experiencing occasional bouts of fatigue but I feel like I should be more forceful with myself to start purposeful exercising....even talking a walk.  I think it will improve my energy level and ability to focus and concentrate better.  I live in CO so it's cold...that's been my "excuse" not to go for walks but I think I'm calling my own bluff that I'm not motivated to go do it.   just curious when most people started to focus on this aspect.
Day_dream_believer
on 1/2/14 12:43 am

By 2 weeks out I was going for walks.  At two weeks I started walking slowly on the treadmill at the gym and by 6 weeks I was doing light weights.  My Dr. cleared me to swim at 3 weeks, but I don't remember when I started. 

MacMadame
on 1/2/14 1:44 pm - Northern, CA

I started walking in the hospital. Not very far but I was very afraid of blood clots so I pushed myself to do it.

By 2 weeks I was back in the gym doing the stationary bike and back to my regular walking. By 2 months I started running and doing core work. In between I tried a few things but my incisions were still healing and they didn't work too well.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

jimjayhawk
on 1/3/14 7:01 am
RNY on 02/10/13

Yep, lots of walking as soon as the procedure was complete and your 2 month window was about the same for my guts to not feel overly shaken and stirred during a workout. 

PetHairMagnet
on 1/5/14 12:12 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I walked 2.5 miles in the hospital. I walked several miles a day right from the get go and within two weeks was on the elliptical and going at it with gusto! I started running about 6 weeks post-op and have not looked back from that choice. I LOVE RUNNING!!-

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

DuckDum
on 1/22/14 11:56 am, edited 1/22/14 11:57 am

I actually walk every morning and during the weekend I do cycling..

Most Active