Back on a bike - knee question

Lisa167
on 6/2/14 12:56 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Hi

After 30 (cough) years I got back on a bike on Saturday.  Managed a few miles.

Things I learned:

• I can still ride a bike! Yay!
  • miles and miles of walking does not help your quads
  • I had no problem paying $50 for a gel bike seat afterward.
  • I hate my husband because he hops on his after 30 years and can go 20 miles.

The problem I have is, I have a "bad knee" that doesn't have much cartilage left.  Years ago my orthopedist told me (when I was on a fitness kick and going to the gym) to not use the elliptical.  It would be bad for my knee.  So for cardiac exercise, I've used a stationary bike, and walked.  I can walk forever.

The day I rode, it was OK.  The next day it bothered me a bit, and I could feel fluid around my knee.  I chose not to ride the second day and apply a cold compress to my knee.

I don't have this problem from a stationary bike.

I'm SO bored with walking, etc.  Wanted to get on a real bike.  I don't know why it bothered my knee so much.

Should I stick with this?  Build my endurance?  Is it weak muscles?

I'm just frustrated...I know I wasn't going to get too far.  Just didn't expect to be sidelined from it.

Thanks!

MacMadame
on 6/2/14 1:39 am - Northern, CA

It probably bothered your knee because it didn't fit right. A good bike fitting is important if you are going to put any kind of mileage on the bike. Otherwise you will aggrevate body parts that are not in alignment due to the bike not being set up correctly.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Lisa167
on 6/2/14 1:50 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Thanks MacMadame, that could be.  Did a lot of tweaking when getting started, but I'm sure it's not quite right yet. I'm not convinced I'm extending my legs quite far enough. (seat needs be raised)

Did bring it by a good bike shop to make sure it fit me (I inherited it, unused), and it did.

I hope that's all it is.  I really enjoyed riding, even though it was work.  I'm envious of those who make it look so easy!

cabin111
on 6/5/14 5:41 am, edited 6/5/14 5:42 am

Hope it works out for you.  The bicycle is my main mode of transportation around town (bank, stores, coffee shop, paying bills, visiting friends).  Like others have said, get the right fit for your bike.  If it is the right size for you, make sure the seat and handle bars are in the right locations.  If you can get past this knee issue the bike can become very very addicting (in a good way).  

Don't know if or when you had surgery.  As the weight drops the bicycle becomes easier and easier to use.  Just a few pound difference can propel and make the ride much more enjoyable.  So, if it doesn't work now...But you have dropped some more weight in a few months...Try it again.  I got on my bike at about 240# and rode...It was not fun.  Later at about 200...Big time fun.  Brian  PS  Knee brace??

Lisa167
on 6/5/14 5:53 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I've actually thought about a knee brace.  I happen to have a follow up with my Ortho a week from tomorrow.  I plan to bring this up.  (it's a shoulder issue check up - if it's not one thing, it's another).

I am still pre-op.  I've dropped about 14lbs so far, and I agree that it should get easier as I'm trying to push along less weight :-)  For example, flat roads are no problem, but the slightest incline for too long is killer, yah know?

I'm just working to get more active at this point, and as I drop more weight I hope this becomes a favorite for me. 

A combination of commitments and weather have kept me off it since the weekend.  So I'll be giving it a go this weekend and working on the seat and handlebar adjustments.

Most Active