Marathon Training

docbad32
on 8/11/15 7:06 am

Morning everyone.  Turns out I really enjoy running.  Don't know when that happened.  Anyway, I'm about 3 weeks short of completing my couch to 10K program and I went and did something crazy.  I registered to run the Myrtle Beach Marathon in March.  Super excited about it!  Just wondering if there are any avid runners in here that can give some advice/tips in regards to pretty much anything; fuel, clothing, nipple chafing!!!!, aches without ibuprofen, etc.  Thanks for all the help and motivation!

VSG:  3/12/15

SATXVSG
on 8/11/15 9:01 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I have been averaging 7 miles for each workout for the last 6 weeks so my mileage is not quite marathon ready.  Also, I am more of an avid run/walker.  Right now, I am about 40% run, 60% walk and I average about 13 minutes a mile.

But, this is what I have found helps me at my distances.

I wear a synthetic compression shirt under my t-shirt and that has stopped the nipple chafing. 

I also switched up shoes.  Brooks Transcends are my shoe of choice now.

Socks, I find that I do best with zero cotton when going long distances, for me that means over 5 miles.

I also found a running belt to hold my phone, keys, etc so they are not flopping around in my pockets.

I also have started doing some simple stretches after a short warm up and after I am done with my run.  Runners world has some good videos.  I get hip pain and the stretching seems to help.

I also have a garmin forerunner 220 with chest strap to monitor my distances and heart rate.  Phone GPS is too inaccurate for longer distances.

There are a few serious marathon types on here so hopefully they can add some more insight.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Bonroxie19
on 8/15/15 7:06 pm

you are a brave... lol... i do half marathons before and after the weight loss.

1.  go to a running store and get fit for a good pair of running shoes.  Nothing more important.

2.  figure out what kind of shorts you like.  7inch seam, 5 inch seam.  i used to run in a 9 inch seam before surgery, 80 pounds later run in a 5 inch

3.  a running watch is a great tool.  i use a fitbit surge but there are tons of choices.

start reading (runners world) they have many charts you could follow that give you mileage totals per day and week.

5.  there are many great cross training activities, find one to use when not running

6.  strengthen your core to strengthen your running

7.  I use Gu (peanut butter flavor is my fav) since we eat such low carb and carb is the first thing burned as we run so you need to replace.

8.  dry fit, no cotton shirts, 

9.  i need my music

10.   i am lucky to live by the beach so my run is always amazing, try different area with few cars.

go luck to you and let us know how it is going.

i also use nike + to keep up with my friends and track my mileage.

i average 35 miles per weight.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

nfarris79
on 8/15/15 6:39 pm, edited 8/15/15 6:40 pm - Germantown, MD

In addition to what others advised,  I'm a big fan of formal training - - -  group training with RRCA coaches are essential for me,  but if the social component isn't the thing to keep u on track,  there are good training plans to follow.  For nutrition,  I find GU to be a bit hard on my pouch so I either supplement with natural foods (dates,  raisins)  or smaller supplements (sport beans,  chomps)  and salt tabs are essential in hot/humid conditions.  I've done 2 marathons,  2 ultras and am training again this fall for 2 more marathons,  so it's safe to say I've got the running bug too! 

ETA : on the aches part, if it's really intolerable pain I'll use Tylenol but training for a marathon is gonna hurt... So sometimes it's better to let your body adapt to the changes and focus on getting more efficient in recovery IMO.  A pt  can help u create a good plan on recovering after long runs,  but I'm a fan of ice baths,  foam rolling,  stretching,  and compression gear to help ease recovery... 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Paul C.
on 8/24/15 10:59 am - Cumming, GA

Welcome to the Whack job Endurance club!

Nutrition is something that everyone says is different for each person and this is true to some degree.

2 Main camps on Nutrition Sugar vs Non Sugar.

All the gels and bars and beans are mainly some form of sugar and they will get you to the finish line.

Non Sugar - I use Generation UCan which is  a starch based product and promotes Fat as a Fuel Source.  If Working at the correct intensity this can be a powerful combination.  The UCan protocol is X Scoops before and some during depending on duration.  If you combine UCan with a Metabolic Efficiency diet then you are good for a couple hours training with zero nutrition.  I Can go 13 miles on just pre nutrition.  Example on difference  1 year at a Half Iron I would do 2-3 Stinger Waffles per hour over 3.5 hours which equaled 400-600 calories an hour or 1800 for the bike (56 miles).  After moving to UCan I did a 70 mile ride 2 Scoops 1 hour prior, 1 scoop at 25 miles and 1 scoop at 40 miles 80 calories per scoop.  I felt great after 70 miles.

Other items.  No your sweat loss! especially in the heat.  knowing how much you lose in fluids helps you know how much to take in.  Electrolytes become crucial as you add time and distance as you are not losing jus****er through your sweat and taking in electrolytes will save your day!  I am a heavy sweater and use NuuN for long runs on hot days I will take up to 2000mg of sodium per bottle, I have actually raced at 3000mg per bottle and took in 6 bottles in 4 hours on the bike.

Heart Rate monitor get one :)  GPS watch  invest in one and drop the Phone apps.  I like Garmin watches, the accuracy between a watch and a phone based app is no comparisson, I have seenanywhere from .25 - 1mile variations and the watch is the more accurate.  Foam Roller get one and love it.  Chafing I use a product called TRI Slide which is a spray on.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active