Good workout guide for people who don't know what to do at all?

Seiren
on 2/27/16 8:17 pm - The Colony, TX
VSG on 12/17/09 with

I need to lose my last 40 to 50 lbs that never came off on its own. I have never stuck to weight training because I always feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Does anyone have any good links or programs that helped in a similar situation? 

cabin111
on 2/28/16 11:17 am

You need to find the workout that works for you...My workout (bicycle, mowing lawns) is not yours...Yours not mine.  If you are into walking (jogging) you may want to look into the program couch-2-5K.  They are spelled different and many people have developed apps for that program.  The other idea is Youtube.  You have hundreds of work out programs on there...Many beginning ones.  You might want to look into exercise bands...You can Google those words.  You can get them anywhere...Walmart, sporting goods store, on line.  Youtube has tons of exercise workouts with bands.  Before my surgery I had a desk job.  I had a 1/2 hour lunch break.  Good walking shoes...I would grab my food...eat it while I walked 1 mile.  Went to the bathroom (freshened up) and went back to work.  I found the time when there was not time...I see many women who walk in groups during their lunch or 15 minute breaks...Be creative.  Brian 

Seiren
on 2/28/16 12:08 pm - The Colony, TX
VSG on 12/17/09 with

I decided I'm going to start slow by creating a habit of going to my apt gym in the morning for just 15 mins to do whatever. I'm a terrible morning person so this will be a struggle.  I use a fitbit and have been walking average of 10k steps per day, but it has not been enough to cause weight loss at this point. I upped my daily goal to 13k to see if that helps.

cabin111
on 2/28/16 4:18 pm

The 400 pound gorilla in the room we aren't talking about...Simple carbs.  Maybe your exercise program is good (fair) enough...The real issue may be those cakes, candies, drinks, breads that don't allow you (us) to lose those final pounds...

Seiren
on 2/28/16 4:27 pm - The Colony, TX
VSG on 12/17/09 with

Oh I know that's part of it. But I'm trying. 

docbad32
on 2/29/16 6:02 am

Have you looked on Youtube?  There are millions of videos detailing all manner of workouts for all types of people and experience levels.  A lot of my strength training routine came from a bunch of videos that I took bits and pieces from.  Excellent source material and free.

VSG:  3/12/15

Braceface
on 2/29/16 1:18 pm, edited 2/29/16 5:16 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I think the best investment in myself is my gym membership. I love going to classes and having people around me to motivate me to do my very best. I take cardio classes like spinning and running classes on a treadmill along with weight bearing clasess and high intensity classes. Doing these classes on an almost daily basis has increased my muscle mass, decreased my body fat and given me high endurance that feels great. I began at a gym that had great classes but was not too expensive. As I got more involved I have joined a gym with a pool, Steam room, and great facilities that feel more like a spa so I can really enjoy spending my time there.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

NorthernStar
on 3/1/16 10:27 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Fat loss/weight loss will come from diet, so for the last stretch you will need to focus your attention there. To get those pounds off you will need to change some things up in your diet.

Exercise is great and I find goes a long way in helping me stick to my eating plan. A lot of research points to strength training helping you to maintain your lean mass so that your losses come mostly from fat. I encourage everyone to work out! Just keep in mind, exercise is not the magic bullet to weight loss.

Since you asked specifically about weight lifting, here's my picks:

• The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler
  • Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto

Both are great books for beginners and will get you off an running with strength training. If you like working out at home, there's some great DVDs for strength training! Almost any Beachbody program (especially P90 and Chalean Extreme), Cathe Friedrich, The Firm. I don't belong to a gym and love home workouts.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/1/16 12:22 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Theres a program that Blue Cross offers called Healthy Ways, which is basically same as silver sneakers -- its phenomenal.

Its $25 to enroll + $25 for first month and $25 for every month after. You get access to 9,000 gyms or so in the country. You can join gyms like Golds, LA, Anytime, SNAP, etc.

Its definitely worth looking into. I travel a lot for work so I love being able to go to any gym in the country :)

Most Active