During marathon nutrition

nurseivy
on 5/9/18 6:56 am

Hi everyone!

I am almost 10 months post op VSG. And I have decided to run the Marine Corps Marathon. I will be training with the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I am scared to death!! Hahaha

So My question is about nutrition during long runs and the race. How do you guys keep track of when to eat and when to drink? I was told not to drink 30 minutes after eating. Does that all kind of go out the window during long runs?

Gavs50
on 5/11/18 3:30 am

First off congratulation on the surgery and now the marathon goal. Awesome stuff. I am about 20 months out and about to run my 3rd I am no expert and everyone is different so remember that. I eat 30-45 min before the race a nice bowl or yogurt,berries, and granola. On the course depending on the weather I will grab some water at most rest stops as I find that if I start to get dehydrated my race goes down the tube. As for eating on the course. I carry about 4 GU packs and a pack of Shot Bloc's and start eating them about mile 13. Then I have 1 GU about every 3 miles after than just to give me enough boost to get through.

Good luck and and let us know how it turns out for you.

nurseivy
on 5/18/18 11:32 am

Thank you sooooooo much for your response!!

3??? That is awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Do you wait 30 minutes after GU or Shot Blocks to drink? Or are you ok drinking right after? That is what is confusing me!! Hahaha

docbad32
on 5/14/18 6:00 am

Drink to thirst and eat about 100-200 calories per hour. Those are my general rules for road running. You may find you need more, or even less. It is a very personally thing and takes a lot of experimenting. Use your long training runs to find out what foods or fuels work for you, and how much water you should be drinking. There's quite a few long distance runners around these parts, so ask any questions you may have. Good luck!

VSG:  3/12/15

highlandbear
on 5/15/18 6:57 pm - Canada

You have to find what works for you and what your stomach will allow you have and be able to run without having bathroom issues. I do gels and I don't worry about the 30 minutes when I am running.

Make sure when you are going out for your runs you know where bathrooms are just in case. Once you know how your stomach is than you don't have to worry so much.

Gwen M.
on 5/17/18 6:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

During long races, I eat a gel/gu/clif blok square every 30-45 minutes. I drink at every water station. I've never had any issue with this schedule - probably because the "food" breaks down to liquid pretty quickly in my stomach anyway.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

nurseivy
on 5/18/18 11:36 am

Thank you all soooooooo much for your responses! I guess it will be a lot of trial and error (like everything else with Lil Sleevie Wonder) Hahahaha.

I will keep you guys posted. I have started a blog to document my research findings!! :)

Most Active