Not keeping score. Just keeping healthy

HeLLeNa_HaNdBaSk
Et

on 7/30/18 5:49 pm - Youngstown, OH

HW: 440#s

Surgery Weight: 378#s

Current Weight: 317#s

Goal Weight Range: 130#- 140#

I'm almost 5 months post-op my RNY. I informed my surgeon, nutritionist, bariatric nurse, insurer case worker and my PCP that I want to go to the bowling lane closest to me as a part of my fitness/ workout regime. Granted I've never been a skilled bowler. In fact I've not picked up a bowling ball since I was an adolescent. Besides, as I told my practitioners, I'm not doing this on a competitive level/ to keep score. But if I'm going to be stretching my muscles, putting my body in to varying stances and using muscles in ways I've not done in decades (possibly never used) in order to exercise, I want to be doing something that is fun. And in someplace that's air conditioned with my best friend/ personal assistant. She and her bf are skilled bowlers. So this should be great.

My surgeon told me to go easy because of my bone loss, I still have to use my quad cane for balance due to my heavy sagging loose skin on my weight bearing joints and that he doesn't really want me lifting more than 10 pounds of anything. But, as long as my assistant is with me, that I don't go bowling for longer than 45 minutes and not to do it more than twice a week for 6-8 weeks once I begin and to take my breaks, then he's fine with it. YAY!! I ordered my bowling shoes two weeks ago from www.bowlingball.com and received them last week. My friend & her bf have family events going on for the next few weeks in PA, but once she's back we can go. I can't drive and rely on her as my paid assistant to take me to my med and misc. appointments. But it's all good. I can still do my at home workouts until then.

By the time I get going, I'll burn off more fat to get me UNDER the 290s by then & build muscle for more intermediate routines, that I'll need a prescription for, that I've got planned for mid/ late Autumn.Stay tuned.

Good luck to any and all on their journey and quest for better health and a positive & more active and social life! Peace.

Laura in Texas
on 8/4/18 5:05 am

Good for you! I love bowling but it kills my back. Do you have a fitness tracker? Adding a few steps everyday is a great way to improve your health as you lose the weight.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

HeLLeNa_HaNdBaSk
Et

on 9/20/18 12:49 pm - Youngstown, OH

Thanks & no, I don't. But I'm considering it as I become a bit more ambulatory. I still need and use my cane for balance and leverage (my bone loss doesn't help but I do my best). Its all any of us can do. Thx again.

Knitter215
on 8/5/18 8:27 am
VSG on 08/23/16

You do you! You have to find what exercise works for you and the exercise that works the best is the one you are going to do over and over again. I was never a gym rat, but have become one to support a sport I never thought I would wind up doing - fencing. So long as the doc gives the green light and you are happy doing it - go for it.

Good shoes for whatever you choose to do are key - cause if your feet ain't happy, nobody's happy! Best of luck on your journey - keep it up.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

HeLLeNa_HaNdBaSk
Et

on 9/20/18 12:59 pm - Youngstown, OH

Thank you for the encouraging words. You're right about the shoes. They fit just fine. I'm just not used to wearing shoes because I've not done so in years since I had difficulties walking; still do at times. But also for years I was agoraphobic. Never left my flat. But thanks to my docs, social workers, nurses, counselors, I've come a long way, baby!

And WOW! You do Fencing?!? That's tremendously impressive! Kudos to you and all of your achievements.

Liz J.
on 9/20/18 10:40 am
DS on 11/29/16

What a great idea! My husband and I just got bikes last month and have been riding but that won't work in MO for the winter, so bowling might just work!! I'm going to look into it!

Keep going and let us know!

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

HeLLeNa_HaNdBaSk
Et

on 9/20/18 1:15 pm - Youngstown, OH

You're very kind, Liz, thanks a bunch. I need to post an update because I was finally able to hit the bowling alley with my friend/ assistant on Sept. 11th at 11am (I can't deal with crowds & such). I overextended myself by paying for an hour instead of 30minutes like my surgeon instructed me. If anything my thighs took a beating and were sore for 4 days. My body & its weight bearing joints are not used to doing anything lightly taxing let alone strenuous. I paid the price, but I will and want to go back next week before September ends. I'll do it for the recommended 30 minutes. LOL.

Definitely give it a go, Liz. I'm no pro bowler. More sub level actually. But I don't care. As long as its fun, keeps my activity level up and the pounds down and my friends with me, I'll be fine. Thanks again & happy Autumn!

Jennifer

Most Active