Marathon Runners (Nutrition and Fuel)

jeffhowell48
on 3/1/19 8:02 am
RNY on 01/28/15

Just looking to see if anybody is a Runner and what they do to stay Fueled for the Long Runs. I am starting my Journey to the Chicago Marathon and still have not figured out what works best for me for those Long Runs..

I just finished a challenge this past weekend (15K, 5K on Sat; Half, 8K on Sun) and by the 8K, I was spent.. could barely keep going and Sugars were down to the 50s...

I have done many Halfs and usually can get by on GUs and some Gatorade during the Run... so the longer runs, I think are going to be a challenge in itself...

Thank You

Jeff

Candrews1
on 3/1/19 9:45 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

Jeff Im doing Chicago as well for the first time.

I typically on longer runs (I did St Jude last year, my first marathon) I carry 1 GU for the last 3 miles. During the race, I eat these biscuits that our local running store carried. I'm not sure you can buy them anymore but I can check on the name of them. I take 2 of those and 1 salt tab every 5 miles. I had no trouble with nutrition. St Jude was untypically warm that day. Five days before we did our last runs in the 30's and the day of the race it rained so they delayed our race by an hour and then it was upper 60's, lower 70's throughout the race. People were falling out, getting fluids intravenously on the side of the road. It was very miserable. My biggest issue was fluid. I could not stay hydrated. I did not have a Handheld or vest (something I vowed I would never, ever do again) and I literally only thought about getting to the nex****er stop.

Whats your goal time?

If Doc gets on, he typically does Ultras and Im sure he has some good nutrition ideas.

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

jeffhowell48
on 3/1/19 12:37 pm
RNY on 01/28/15

Thanks for the Info.

Fluid has been an issue for me also in the past, I have not yet worn a vest, but thought about it... No handheld for me either. I have not tried the salt tabs... as for heat, I run in Tampa, so it is hot 360 days out of the year - lol...

And I am hoping for a 4 hr or better...

Candrews1
on 3/2/19 6:40 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

Im hoping for between 4 and 4:30..

We were trained for it. It was December in Memphis..anything below 50 degrees is fairly normal here..it was a freak day and everyone struggled.

Those salt tabs really help me. I use them on training runs anything over 10.

Candrews1
on 3/4/19 6:17 am, edited 3/4/19 1:23 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15
Candrews1
on 3/4/19 9:24 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

highlandbear
on 3/3/19 6:28 pm - Canada

Each and everyone of us is so different on what the stomach will handle when running. I have a real picky stomach and it has taken me 6 years to find out what i can take on my long run so my stomach will be OK. I did a 50k run using Endurance tap which is just maple syrup, ginger and sea salt. It works for me. I don't like Gatorade so I put the endurance tap in my water. I did half ironman using the endurance tap plus salt tablets. Make sure as you trying out your fuel when running you pick routes with washrooms along the way. The biggest mistake i have been reading is people wait to long to start there fueling in the race and by the time they start they have started to slow down. I have been reading in the first hour you should start the fuel.

Good luck in your training.

jeffhowell48
on 3/4/19 3:06 am
RNY on 01/28/15

Thank you for your help!

docbad32
on 3/4/19 8:06 am

The best advice is to try everything. Lots of different stuff works for lots of different people. For a faster road marathon, I'll use GU and what ever sports drink the race supplies. For slower trail ultras, I usually use Tailwind and real food like PB&Js, quesadillas, chips and candy, etc. It's not great for the diet part of all this, but it fuels my runs like I want. I've tried to do this stuff on low carbs and it just makes me feel like garbage.

So for a road marathon my fuel would be something like this. (assuming aid stations are every 2 miles)

Breakfast: Nuetella or PB bagel

Gels every 6 miles, Gatorade every other aid station.

So water at mile 2, Gatorade at mile 4, water and gel at mile 6, repeat.

The key is experimenting to find what fuel and what fuel schedule works best for your body.

VSG:  3/12/15

highlandbear
on 3/4/19 6:30 pm - Canada

You are so right . we are so different. what works for one will not work for another. I agree we need the carbs. If i ate what you did i be in so much trouble. never try anything new on race day or the day before. My trainer has a garbage can stomach she can eat and take anything in with no issue. She makes me jealous

Most Active