Help with resistance bands

TheWombat
on 10/1/19 12:58 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I decided I wanted to try working out with resistance bands. I'm new to this, so I bought these bands which were highly rated. I then found this video from the British Heart Foundation that teaches you how to do a basic workout with resistance bands.

I tried the very first exercise, shown below. You're supposed to raise your hands up to shoulder height, keeping your elbows slightly bent. The problem is that even the lightest band won't stretch enough to allow me to move my hands more than a couple of inches away from my hips. I don't think the problem is that I'm not strong enough; I think the band is simply too short. Even if I somehow managed to stretch the band enough to get my hands up to shoulder height, the band would be under so much tension that I doubt my hands could hold onto the ends. Unless these bands stretch a LOT with use, and I just need to keep trying?

Assuming I'm right and I need to buy different bands to do this type of exercise, what do I look for? Is there some terminology I need to look for in the product listing? A brand/model recommendation would be welcome.

That's not me in the picture, by the way. I wish I were that young and fit!

Candrews1
on 10/2/19 8:09 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

I have never used bands for that except on my feet in rehab. I would have no clue. Sorry

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

highlandbear
on 10/2/19 1:03 pm - Canada

from all my time and years in the gym never have i seen it done this way. Her hands are out to far number one. Number 2 is they should be telling you only to raise as far as you can keeping your posture and your form. It is not about how high you go. as you get stronger you will be able to go higher. Remember to always have control of the band. do not let gravity pull the bands down but lower slowly. that is part of the job. if you want more hints just let me know. like different grips etc. trainer has taught me well

melissajeffrey
on 1/12/21 2:37 am

I like that resistance bands and I work out daily with that at morning.

dav92grav
on 2/8/21 11:12 pm

I like the way you described it. I used to do them in the gym and then at home when the quarantine started. These resistance bands vary in strength, some are good for beginners, some are not, I ordered here a 10 with different strength https://gym-expert.com/best-pull-up-assist-bands/. Look at how hard they stretch, it's important.

Most Active