Deadlifts: wondering if the slack pull is really advantageous

shirleyallen
on 6/11/22 9:20 am

I used to do the slack pull with just my upper torso, until I re-watched one of PR's Performance's videos on YT and realized you need to use your legs too. So, after I brace, I use my full body to pull slack, without raising the plates on the very end of the bar from the ground. Then I pause like a tenth of a second, and then do the actual pull.

But doing the pause is really hard. I don't see any disadvantage the other way of just gripping and ripping from the ground. Yes, you will encounter some sudden resistance when you pull out the slack; but, at the same time, if you pull the slack first and then pause, this is also hard because the resistance lasts longer while you pause (even though the pause is just a tenth of a second or so).

So, is there any real advantage to pulling out the slack first?

abr2022
on 11/29/22 7:32 pm

Hello!

Pulling the slack out of the bar is supposed to engage your core before the actual lift, while removing that inch or so of extra work. It removes the idea of a jerk out of the lift, which is beneficial against potential injury and prepares you for the weight. The idea of pulling slack out of the bar is not supposed to be hard or exhausting, likewise the pause should almost be non-existent. I would have to actually see your deadlift but think of starting your deadlift half an inch or so higher. For me, it is also subconscious that there is less movement I need to go through, and this helps me. Hopefully I explained this well enough for you, and at the end of the day, I would do whichever is more comfortable for you!

Most Active