Odd Body Changes...

Tamara K.
on 6/6/05 7:19 pm - Chino, CA
I don't remember the last time I posted, if I ever did. But I am about 18 months out. I've been really good about exercising, and my diet is "ok" not perfect but not horrible either. I definately have changed habits. But here's the weird thing. Even though I can now lift more weight at the gym, run farther on the tread mill, and feel overall better...my percentage of body fat CONTINUES to increase??!!! And my lean muscle mass is decreasing. I have gained weight, about 15 lbs, but have lost inches! I have not been able to lose the rest of the weight I would like (another 40 lbs.) Have had my metabolism checked and was told it was pretty slow. (About 500 calories a day lower than it should be.) I have upped my water intake, and have begun a detox program to clean my colon and liver. I don't know what else to try. Has anyone else experienced this? I know this sounds like I am in denial, but I'm not. I've been going to a personal trainer and even she is at a lose as to what is going on. HELP!
Christina (raysgirl) F.
on 6/15/05 9:50 am - Telford, PA
Tamara, I had my wls 4-01-02, I lost 100lbs. putting me at 157, I now weigh 170,I go to the gym 6 days a week, feel I am working hard. My diet can be improved a little. I drink a ton of water and feel I am in the same boat as you. Sorry I have no answers either, but just nice to hear someone is understanding my frustration. I am very depressed about gaining this weight back,need to find some way to lose again. I would like to be around 145. I am 5ft6in.Like you I feel much better, but would love to hear if you find an answer or solution. Thanx and good luck, Christina in Pa. [email protected]
Larakatya
on 7/17/05 3:28 am - Twin Cities, MN
This sounds REALLY challenging! It almost sounds like you could be having problems getting enough protein in. Have you tracked your grams on fitday.com? Check and see if you're getting in at least 60-80 a day on a regular basis. It just sounds like you're metabolizing your muscles. I'd talk to a nutritionist, check to see how you're metabolizing your vitamins (perhaps there's a deficiency that's blocking progress), and keep up the activity. How are you measuring your mass? Have you done hydrostatic (underwater) weighing? That's what I've done - and it gives a VERY different reading for me than Electrical Impedience testing. EIT says I'm at like 24.5% body fat, but with hydrostatic testing I know I'm actually at 20% body fat. Wishing you the very best, ~Lara
Mark Shields
on 11/19/05 11:59 am - Huntingtown, MD
What does your nutrition consist of? How often are you eating and what are you eating? I'm not familiar with someone that is that far along post-op, but I do know that having beriatric surgery will cause a decrease in lean muscle, which will cause one's metabolism to slow. Kudos on hiring a trainer as that is a wise investment. To Your Health! Mark Shields B.S. www.proactivefitness.net
Mark Shields
on 11/19/05 11:59 am - Huntingtown, MD
Whoops, replied to the wrong post I believe.
Most Active