HELP!!! Gym Motivation

mvicente
on 3/19/06 6:42 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey guys, I usually read the board but have never post here. I had surgery on Valentine's day this year and must admit I been doing great no pains or any bad situations yet. On my weight loss I think is going slow and even though I wished it was more I admit I'm seeing clothes that hadn't fit before are loose now so guess I shouldn't complain. As of today I'm 295 from 319 that I weight on February 22 (1 week post op). Now for exercise all I been doing since pre op is the treadmill for 20 minutes every morning and recently been uping the elevation in order to make it harder cuz it felt like a breeze now compared to before. But the real thing is I want to join a gym and know that I need to so my workout can be more and get my body in better condition doing strength training. My problem is that for some reason I seem to be scared of actually taking that first trip to the gym and having to talk to get a membership. I guess I feel they would be thinking something bad of me because of my size or don't really know what, but that's my dilemma. So maybe some real push from you guys or if you could share some of your experiences on entering the gym that first time, what did you ask for or say when getting your membership, it will get me going and forgetting about what might happen at the gym. I'm thinking of joining Ballys and have heard so many stories as of how they are always trying to sell you things so some feedback as to how to deal or handle it would be great. Does anyone knows about Golds also? Those 2 are my options here in my area. Thanks to all, Miguel
Dawn G.
on 3/23/06 4:20 am - NJ
Miguel, I don't know about the 2 gyms in your area but the ones around me are full of "normal" people. Sure you have a few people that are extreamly fit, but for the most part it's full of people trying to loose weight just like us. Those commercials on TV have people thinking they will walk in and all these beautiful people in spandex will be jumping around looking perfect. Reality check...they are actors getting paid to look that way. Don't feel intimidated at all. There was a woman that posted on the main board some time ago about people looking at her at the gym. She said she was going to get t-shirts made with sayings like, "under constuction...installation removal in process" on them. I think the bottom like is this. If a skinny person wants to stare at you while you are sitting in McDonalds eating a super sized meal, then fine; but if you are trying to better yourself physically, they have no grounds for it. Dawn
nybabe
on 4/13/06 8:33 am - Babylon, NY
Hi Miguel - I am the Queen of Motivation! ..I have been posting "goals" with my August friends on our 8/05 boards, and I have inspired several WLS friends of mine, to join me in hitting the gym. I have been a member at Ballys since 9/03- and its not my first membership..Ive also worked out at Lucille Roberts 2 yrs and also worked at Golds for awhile.. So here is what you do- most clubs will give you a week free or two weeks free use of the gym. Ballys & Golds both do. Gold's I think is great- because all the classes are included- at Ballys you pay extra for them, but get a pool/sauna with it- you would have to check individual locations on Golds for pools.. Anyway- they will try to get you to commit. Gold's was no pressure- they give you the option of sigining by month or by a year- and give you a free month (either contract) and 3 free sessions with a personal trainer. For someone just starting out- that is a good deal- You sign up for one month- get a month free and you get 3 sessions with a PT and you can buy more if you want. I promise you the benefit of a trainer is so worth it- I had a trainer for 15 sessions- you learn proper form, and different techniques to hit different muscles and you use machines and free weights and stability balls. I have worked out in my 20s,30s & 40s and only in '03 did I do the trainer and see the difference after just one session. I was just looking at Golds this past month- and thats how I know all this- go to their website or just enter golds gym in google and you'll find it- nd find a location near you and talk to them. Their equipment is better and newer than what I have been seeing at Ballys, not as crowded, and Golds is open 24hrs during the week and extended hours on weekends.. Hope that helps! Donna 325/228/145
Phitphreak
on 6/17/06 9:36 pm - Seminole, FL
Miguel, 1. Pick your gym based on how convenient it is for you to go. If it is a headache to get to you probably wont go as often. I sill have memberships to Golds, Bally's, LA fitness, 24 hr Fitness etc....I now work as a Personal Trainer at Lifestyle Family Fitness in largo FL. Look at the cleanliness of the facility. Would you mind doing floor exercises on that floor or does it look like it hasn't been cleaned for a week. Ditto for the locker rooms. If you are going to work out in the morning is the locker room some where you feel comfortable getting ready to go to work in. 2. Hire a trainer but SHOP FIRST. Every club you join will offer you a "Free Assessment" with a trainer. This is your time to get to know each other. We then present you with our services and costs. Ask to meet all, or just talk to all of the trainers before you make a decision. If you are lucky and have a good "Membership Consultent" he will try to steer you toward a compatable trainer. Personally I got lucky with a trainer in his 50's who did not overwork me in the beginning and made working out fun. This is what you are looking for. I currently charge 85$ an hour with discounts for multiple sessions. This may sound like a lot but if I design a structured program that you can follow for the rest of your life and teach you how to follow it is a good value. My goal with each client is to work myself out of a job. I have a backlog of business because I deliver results and have a book full of testamonials to prove it, ask to see there before and after portfolio. Many of my clients have lost over 100 lbs. Albiet they trained with me for over a year. You get what you pay for. I currently hold 4 certifications I recommend looking for a trainer who is NASM certified. (National Academy of Sports Medicine) This methodology is best for a progressive and systematic increase in intensity and duration. This is preferable to the Billy Buff system of no pain no gain. Your trainer should recognize that if you don't enjoy or even tolerate your workout you will not workout. Your success in transforming yourself in to a person that works out regularly should be foremost in the mind of your trainer. In closing just remember that people tend to look at the person they want to become while in the gym not you. However they will notice your accomplishments and tell you how good you look after a while. Also keep in mind this is YOUR time and you are taking an incrediblly positive action in your life. After a while you will feel right at home in the gym. Best wishes! Don
Most Active