Recent Posts

Ohiodietguy
on 5/15/16 6:04 pm
Topic: RE: Gym or no Gym..that is the question

I joined planet fitness and go 3-4 x per week. I think I will really need the gym from Oct- April because of winter and daylight savings 

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Laura in Texas
on 5/15/16 7:34 am
Topic: RE: Gym or no Gym..that is the question

It sounds like the gym will be a good option for you. The gym worked for me for a while, but then life got in the way. What has helped me tremendously is my fitbit. It helps me realize when I am not being active. If you do not have a fitness tracker, I highly recommend getting one.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MelodyMay
on 5/13/16 1:10 pm
RNY on 03/01/16
Topic: Gym or no Gym..that is the question

I thought that making myself a little personal Gym at home would be great. I don't have to worry about people looking at me and I can jump off and shower in my own bathroom, but what I have come to realize is, I lack motivation in my home. I am too comfortable. I always find an excuse or a reason to cut my workout short, if I have one at all.

So, since I have come to this stall, I have come up with an idea. My sister is also on a WL journey and is my accountabilitibuddy. She has a Planet Fitness literally across the street from her home and it seems like it mocks me when I drive by. Why don't we get a membership? It's only $20 a month and it includes tanning! It seems like a steal. It would force me outside of my bubble, my sister would be there for encouragement and I'm sure I'd be more motivated to go if I am paying $$ for the time. I would get to sit with a trainer and discuss the best exercises for me and would have another person to be accountable too...

To me, it seems like the perfect solution but I don't want to get trapped in the "I pay for a gym membership I never use" scenario..

Did the gym work better for you? Any suggestions?

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

highlandbear
on 5/12/16 2:00 pm - Canada
Topic: RE: Considering training for a half marathon, advice please.

amazing please keep in touch and let me know how the training goes. we must be crazy but not to many people can say they did an ultra. Your sounds a lot more harder than mine

docbad32
on 5/12/16 8:44 am

It's called the Mt. Taylor 50k.  It is all in forest ranging from 7-11000 ft. elevation.  It has about 9k of ft. in elevation gain.  It will most likely suck, a lot, but in a good way.  My official training started about 3 weeks ago.  I'm following the plan in Byron Powell's book Relentless Forward Progress.  I highly recommend the read.  This will be my first ultra.  I started running last June and did my first Marathon this March.  Basically everything is new to me. 

VSG:  3/12/15

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/16 12:48 pm
hollykim
on 5/11/16 11:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Topic: RE: Exercise Intolerance
On May 11, 2016 at 8:52 AM Pacific Time, tattitude wrote:

I have tried twice now to start exercising by walking.  First time I developed shin splints and severe pain in both knees and had to stop and have 4 weeks of physical therapy.  Second time, I did a walk for charity and ever since that evening I have been debilitated with crazy lower back pain and spasms.  I can't even stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

I am pre-op, still in process of hoop jumping to get surgery scheduled.  I desperately need to lose some weight to lighten the load on my joints and lower back but haven't been successful on my own.  Recently, I have been having a flare-up of my asthma symptoms (wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath with minimal activity) too.  All this combined pretty much nixes any exertion including water aerobics.

My question is:  Is it okay to wait to start exercising until after I have lost some of the weight?

yea. I have lost 122# and kept it off for six months with no erercise

highlandbear
on 5/11/16 11:34 am - Canada

message me private and I can help you out. You should start training at the start of July. and i would need to know if you know what a tempo run is

highlandbear
on 5/11/16 11:31 am - Canada

which one are you doing. mine is a trail run so I know that 50 will feel like 60. I have just started my training for it. I am also training for triathlon at the same time so I have no rest days. Going to be on busy summer. Is this your first and do you have a trainer or a schedule

Deanna798
on 5/11/16 10:44 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Thank you for the offer, I would definitely be interested in your training schedule.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active