cabin111’s Posts

cabin111
on 4/20/18 9:39 pm, edited 4/20/18 2:39 pm
Topic: RE: weekly work out April 16

First 80 degree day here in Northern California. We've had good rains this year...A lot of weeds. I have a small farm. On that farm are about 3 acres of old cow corrals (and road) on them. I have a little tractor and flail mower for about 1.5 acres of it. The other part I have to mow with a push gas mower. It's April 20th and I've mowed the same areas three times so far. Today I (trying to guess correctly), pushed that mower about 4 miles. Some on side hills and up hills. Also over gopher mounds. Good workout...It lowers the blood pressure. I've been mowing for a few day now...Farm and home. Rode the bike once this week. Hope to ride to the coffee shop several times this week. Once I'm caught up with the mowing. The mowing works on the legs and the upper body. The bike works the back of the legs more. Need to start pushing more on the bike. Brian

cabin111
on 1/10/18 10:09 am
Topic: RE: An interesting view on the gym...From a bariatric surgeon

I listened to this twice to see if I missed something. I think I agree with most of the things he said, but I feel he needed to add some things...That I had to read between the lines. I agree with you about exercise being very therapeutic and feel endorphins help with coping and relaxing. He didn't bring that point up and he should have.

I think what he was trying to stress was that you can't build major muscle groups while being in major weightloss. It takes calories to tear down muscles (the soreness we feel from working them). To build them back up, making them stronger, takes extra calories. Since it is a struggle to get in those calories (especially the first 6 months), we will have major problems trying to build those muscles. I think what he was trying to stress (but didn't say so) was it is better to work on toning muscles and light exercise (walking, biking, elastic bands, different movements, stairs, physical work) than to pump major iron. That is my take on the video...

I also believe he was correct about the use of the gym and the mental aspect of it. In my own case (first six months), I found that walking and physical work (mowing lawns, pruning trees, cleaning the car, cleaning windows) helped me with my weightloss and aided in the toning as well. Brian

cabin111
on 1/5/18 8:02 pm
cabin111
on 1/5/18 6:53 pm
Topic: RE: An interesting view on the gym...From a bariatric surgeon

Someone posted this on the Men's Forum. I viewed it and it made a lot of sense. He didn't go into great detail, but most of his reasoning was pretty sound. Thoughts??

https://www.facebook.com/thesupportsurgeon/videos/7524339315 85044/

cabin111
on 12/1/17 8:02 pm, edited 12/1/17 12:24 pm
Topic: RE: HELP! Please HELP! Need tips

Put on your favorite music while you walk around the house or neighborhood. Crank it up!! Also you may want to use a 1-3 pound weight...Just move it around your body while you walk. Don't have a weight(s)...Use a can(s). Many days when it's raining, I would close the curtains, put on my music and just walk around the house. I would use my weights in different simple movements. I still do this...

You may want to look into elastic bands. You can find them on the internet or at Walmart or a sporting goods store. There are programs on Youtube that show you how to get started. Also after my surgery, elastic band exercises (movement/tension) was the only thing allowed for me post surgery (besides walking) for the first 6 weeks. Even an old rubber tube will work for these exercises. I'll post below some bands and some videos...Brian PS Don't get intimidated by the bodies on the videos...We are here for support and health. These things work, no matter where you are at in an exercise program...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKrcoO86h4&t=406s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou0n5aO_K9Y&t=250s

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BalanceFrom-Heavy-Duty-Premium-Re sistance-Band-Kit-with-Improved-Safe-Door-Anchor-Ankle-Strap -and-Carrying-Case/467557094?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSeller Id=0

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiB3Z_BuOrXAhVYtsA KHcuPBXoYABApGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_0oX3NFhXrmaiHTROrCrE6_9_c5tw&c type=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiyzJjBuOrXAhXm8YMKHdOrAFkQ9aACCIU B&adurl=

cabin111
on 11/22/17 9:01 pm, edited 11/22/17 1:01 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 11.20.17

Again in California...We do things different. It was over 70 degrees today. Sunday, picked up leaves and pruned a grapevine (back and forth in front of the TV also...football). Monday I picked up garbage in a large church parking lot....Walked 2 plus miles (using a grabber). Also worked on a dead bush (stump). Yesterday pruned a tree and racked leaves. Rode to the flea market/sales yard (bicycle)...Got a massage. Today, pruned a tree, raked leaves and mowed about 1 acre of light weeds. There is more mowing in my sights. It should be mid 70s this week. It's walking and using muscles pushing the mower. I'm 62+ so I take on different project to get my heart rate up. If the air is clean I will ride my bike too. Have a nice week...

cabin111
on 11/22/17 8:43 pm
Topic: RE: Am i in severe depression? I want to know

This is general information and should not be construed with a medical evaluation. I have seen and heard of many people on an insomnia website talk about an issue. They have gone off of their anxiety or depression medications too quickly. It can cause many problems. If you have done so, be sure to consult a physician... Just a thought...

cabin111
on 10/23/17 3:48 pm, edited 10/23/17 8:53 am
Topic: RE: weekly workout 10:23:17

Haven't posted for awhile. Still doing OK...Below 200 pounds. Last time I weighed I was 197. Went on vacation this last week..Las Vegas and The Grand Canyon. Did a lot of walking on both. Saturday picked up garbage in a large church's parking lot (with a grabber)...Walked about 2 miles doing that one. Rode my bike to the coffee shop...Got my cup of soup (navy bean...Yeah, I put up with one rather than really enjoy it). It is about 2.5 miles each way. I turned 62 last month...Had all kinds of RNY tests done to see why I am slowing down. All came back normal, so maybe more exercise will help with endurance. Maybe I'm just getting old!! Pollution is still bad here in the Central Valley. It was real bad a few weeks ago with the Napa Valley fires...A lot blew our way. I drop my gym membership on the 26th of this month. Thought we would get more rain to clear up the air...But will have to wait till at least the second week on November. The smog has limited my bike riding (two heart attacks...don't want to risk it). Will do mostly walking till the air gets better. Later, Brian PS Plan on riding my bike to the flea market/sales yard tomorrow...Will get my cheap massage...

cabin111
on 8/6/17 9:44 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workout - August 7-13, 2017

I don't know what the future week holds for me. I'll share the past two days and what I think the week may be like. Yesterday I walked on the treadmill...At least 1.2 miles. I also lifted some weights. I also watered at the rental. I'll be on the treadmill (gym) for most of the week...Also do some weights. Today I rode my bike around one of my normal paths. It felt really good...I've lost a few pounds so the ride was easier. But I am also getting older (turn 62 next month). I haven't ridden hardly at all over the last two months. The smog has been bad (local fires). Fire season is still ahead for us here in California. Living in the Central Valley, we get use to the smog from the fires and almond harvest. We then adjust accordingly. I joined the gym from early July till October 31st. By then we usually get some rain to clean up the air. Below is a video of what the almond harvest looks like...And the dust it creates. Have a great week. Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYFY0gzog0

cabin111
on 6/2/17 3:15 pm
Topic: RE: Help me understand when "activity" becomes "exercise" and when I should up my ma

I won't touch on the food needs, except to say you may want to carry some dried fruit (if your pouch can handle the sugar), Cheerios, mixed plain nuts on your runs and rides. Just a small amount. I wouldn't go with GU (or sports gels) till you know how your pouch can handle them. I was a PE major in college...Graduated in 1979, so this may be old information. But, here goes.

To increase your total lung capacity over a period of time, a person will need to have their heart rate at 120 beats per minute. They would need to have this 120 BPM for at least 12 minutes to improve over time, with their total lung capacity (build endurance)...I was going to say improve health and heart, but that is wrong. You can improve your health and heart by walking and exercising in your own ways. But to build endurance and improve your endurance, you'll need to do the minimum from above. Brian

cabin111
on 5/16/17 1:29 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 5.15.17

Did some bike riding. Also did a lot of lawn mowing...Gas push mower. Also walked and picked up garbage at the farm. My wife and I have about 2 acres that need to be mowed by hand...I do a lot of it, but also use some guys in a drug rehab program to help. I mowed yesterday and today. Also I got my new toy today!! Big boy toy. I will still do a lot of hand mowing at the farm...Where my new flail mower can't reach. But it will be a lot easier work...If the creek don't rise.

cabin111
on 4/24/17 7:30 pm, edited 5/5/17 3:37 pm
Topic: RE: Exercise and mental health...

Exercise keeps dementia at bay: Running and walking 'significantly' boosts brain power

JUST 45 minutes of intensive exercise a day is the key to keeping dementia at bay, a new study shows.

By Giles Sheldrick PUBLISHED: PUBLISHED: 22:30, Mon, Apr 24, 2017

DementiaGETTY - STOCK PHOTO

Exercise keeps dementia at bay: Running and walking 'significantly' boosts brain power

Running, walking, yoga and tai chi have all been shown to ?significantly? boost brain power in the over 50s.But experts say almost any exercise leaving you breathless helps with the benefits evident irrespective of the current state of someone?s brain health.

?? ADVERTISEMENT ??

Research by a team of respected Australian scientists confirm what is good for the heart is also good for the brain.

The team behind the remarkable findings said evidence was strong enough to recommend prescribing certain exercises to improve cognitive function.

Professor Joseph Northey, of the University of Canberra Research Institute for Sport and Exercise, said: ?The findings suggest an exercise programme with components of both aerobic and resistance-type training, of at least moderate intensity and at least 45 minutes per session, on as many days of the week as possible, is beneficial to cognitive function in adults aged over 50.?

Researchers reviewed the records of 12,820 people in their 50s from 39 trials who were given supervised exercise programmes, including aerobic exercise, resistance training, multi-component exercise, containing elements of aerobic and resistance training, tai chi and yoga.

They found taking up moderate or vigorous exercise improved brain capacity, the ability to process information quickly and memory.

Aerobic exercise, like running, swimming or walking, significantly enhanced cognitive abilities while resistance training, like weights, had a ?pronounced effect? on working memory.

Yoga and tai chi also improved mental function which is seen as important as they are types of exercise suitable for those unable to undertake more challenging forms of activity.

DementiaGETTY

Researchers believe what is good for the heart is also good for the brain

Analysis showed a session of moderate to vigorous intensity and lasting between 45 and 60 minutes was the best for brain health.

Dr David Reynolds, Chief Scientific Officer at Alzheimer?s Research UK, said: ?Regular exercise has a whole range of health benefits and can play an important role in keeping our brains healthy as we age.

"This review underscores the link between exercise and brain health and, in line with guidance from the NHS, supports the idea both strength exercises and aerobic activity can be beneficial for people as they get older.

?While these different types of exercise had positive effects on brain function, they had to be at least moderately intensive ? the kind of activity that raises your heart rate and leave you at least slightly out of breath.?

Doctors have long warned against the dangers of prolonged periods of inactivity with the average Briton now spending nine hours a day sat down at work, in a car and on the sofa in the evening.

Early signs of Dementia

Tue, December 20, 2016

Dementia affects the ability to remember, think and reason. Here are the early signs to look out for in yourself and loved ones.

Play slideshow Early signs of dementia Getty Images 1 of 12

Early signs of dementia

Research suggests a sedentary lifestyle can trigger chronic conditions like obesity, heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, muscular and back issues, deep vein thrombosis, depression and dementia.

Millions think exercise means spending hours in the gym but the reality is a brisk walk, a game of tennis or swimming all form part of an active lifestyle.

The British Heart Foundation recommends at least 150 minutes of exercise each week but the majority of us fail to achieve this basic target.

In research published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine today, Professor Northey said: ?Physical exercise shows promise as a modifiable risk factor to reduce the risk of dementia and related neurodegenerative diseases.?

DementiaGETTY

A game of tennis forms part of an active lifestyle

He added: ?This analysis provides clinicians with evidence to recommend patients obtain both aerobic and resistance exercise of at least moderate intensity on as many days of the week as feasible, in line with current exercise guidelines.?

Dr Doug Brown, Director of Research at Alzheimer?s Society, said: ?The benefits of regular exercise to keep a sharp mind are becoming clearer.

"Previous studies show people who exercise are less likely to develop dementia, but more research is needed to find out exactly what type and how much exercise is best to help reduce your risk of the condition.?

Research revealed by the Daily Express showed almost half of us fear dementia more than any other condition.

But a poll carried out for Alzheimer?s society showed only a fifth of people realised it results in death.

cabin111
on 4/1/17 3:16 pm, edited 4/1/17 8:39 am
Topic: RE: How can I keep my health and fitness good?

Nicotine patch may help. Also (you may not like this), if you're not around smokers, it becomes easier to quit. Former smoker here...But I stopped when I was 20 years old.

For exercise the easiest step is to start walking. If it's a short distance, that's OK. Just put one foot in front of the other...Then build up distance.

If you think you might like jogging you can look online for the Couch to 5K. There are many programs or free (Youtube) or $1.99 apps.

If walking can't be done...not safe or bad knees, you might want to try elastic bands. Plenty of Youtube videos on band work outs. I'll post an example below.

When it's cold or rainy outside I will just walk in the house. I make my little path...Add some music!! I'll grab a 2 pound weight and just swing it or lift it around my body. You can use a large (or small) can (s) to do the same thing. Hope these help. Brian PS Don't worry about the great bodies of the band people...You are working on YOUR health...Not anyone else's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cm2jHct_fU&t=154s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkq0-jvz1Dc&t=1026s

cabin111
on 3/21/17 4:18 pm
Topic: RE: arms

A couple ideas. Youtube and see what is out there...Get ideas online. While you are doing the elliptical you can use your arms to push/pull against the arm/hand polls. The other thing I will do (when I do my walk inside the house {like rainy days}) is I will do push ups against the kitchen counter. Just lean into a counter and do modified push ups. Start with 5-10 then build up. I got up to about 31...I do 30 but always do and extra one in case I cheated!! I made sure my chest touched the counter...

cabin111
on 3/12/17 8:13 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 3.13.17

I had a good exercise week for me...I'm 61 1/2. My wife and I have 20 acres in California. We rent out 17.5 of the acres. The rest is a house and old corrals that use to have cows on them. It was 78 degrees today (...Just stating a fact). I've been mowing a lot of the grass/weeds that have been growing around the farm house. I use a push mower. I'm thinking of buying a new flail mower and used tractor...It will be about $25,000. total, so I'll just use the gas push mower. I'll mow for an hour or two...Maybe take 1 break. I work up a good sweat. Blood pressure is good after the mow. Today I was reseeding some of the lawn here at home...A lot of clawing and spreading. Later I rode the bike for a 5 mile ride around the neighborhood. I'll try and do more mowing this week. Boring, but good for the heart. Brian PS This was from last week in our back yard...An almond tree in bloom...

Image may contain: tree, sky and outdoor

cabin111
on 3/12/17 7:29 pm, edited 3/12/17 3:06 pm
Topic: RE: Post RNY - biking to work?

Sorry...Couldn't find my old post about biking to work. I'm retired now, but I'll try and share some of what I remember and some pitfalls with the bike to work. First assume that NO ONE in a car or motorcycle sees you!! Be extra defensive...If that means coming to a complete stop, then do so...to not get hit. After a year or two I found that using hand motions (when me and a car came to the same intersection at the same time) helped in getting through those issues. A hand motion for the car to go (a wave across your body) will allow you to keep peddling and not have to come to a complete stop. If you are coming up to walkers (walking the same way as you) just use the phrase "on your right or on your left". Or I would say "coming up on your right"...Just so they don't freak out and think they are getting mugged.

Again I did the bike and bus thing. It worked well. I got a 20 ride (one way) card for about $28. If there are bus routes, you can always go that route if the bike breaks down. Before I forget...Know where the public restrooms and water are located along your ride. I carried a backpack with me to work. Here are some of the things I kept in it; A clean towel (in case I crashed and needed to apply direct pressure), bandaids, a pen and paper, Imodium AD tablets/Tums...Nothing should happen, but I was prepared. Also things like a cell phone...with numbers of friends and family, a plastic bag filled with rye crackers or Cheerios (if you are nauseas) and mixed nuts, a small 3 oz water bottle in an outside pouch, a $5 bill, an old drivers license (in case my wallet got stolen), a windbreaker/light jacket, a pair of cotton socks (in case yours are wet or have moisture), have a good light for your bike...If you are running late and it gets dark. Also a good lock.

Some of this stuff you can keep at your work or work station. I just always try and be prepared.

My work was 10 miles away. I would have to do 4 hour shifts...It didn't pay to drive. So I rode my bike to the bus 1.5 miles...Put the bike on the bus. Rested on the bus (had to deal with some of the mental people on the bus (talking to you or themselves...But also made calls and played games on my phone). Got ready for when my stop came...Went to the front and took my bike off the front of the bus. Then rode to work, about 1.5 miles...Got there early...Cleaned up. Did my shift (security guard). I then rode back. Could take the slow bus that went everywhere...Or the express bus. If I missed the express bus I would grab the slow bus....It would get me there about 10 minutes before the next express bus. Coming home I would relax more. In the springtime I would be riding home by the local high school. I would stop and watch the high school baseball/softball game, track meets (grab a hot dog and Pepsi...Shhhh). But again those were 1/2 day shifts...10:30am to 2:30pm...Ideal for bike and bus. Hope some of this helps. It took getting down to a certain weight for me, before the bike became enjoyable and functional. It probably will be the same for you. You have to push your body through the peddles...Just like in swimming...Push your body through the water. But in swimming, after you have lost the weight, you don't have a much fat on your body, so you sink like a rock!! Good luck on your journey. Brian

cabin111
on 3/12/17 6:44 pm
Topic: RE: Post RNY - biking to work?

I'll do a couple of copy and paste that I wrote a few years back...Then add some more input.

For some of you who are ready...Yeah, I know you're not completely there weight wise...But Spring is here!! It's time to get out the bicycle!! Borrow one from friends, family, or neighbors. If you need help, find someone who can adjust the seat and handlebars for you. There are many bike paths in most areas. Also the local college may be a good time to ride on the weekends. Google maps even has bike paths located in your area. Get a good lock (that locks the frame and both wheels) if you are going to run errands.

I run errands on my bike more than anything. Many times I'll just do my loops around the neighborhood. Consider riding to work or school if it's not too far. I would do the bike and bus thing for a few years on good weather days. Below is a copy and paste about doing the bike and bus from my local bus system...Yours may vary.

So what do you say?? Are you ready to take the plunge...

Bike & Ride Program
Bus with bike racks You pay your Fare.... Your Bike rides Free!

Stanislaus Regional Transit allows bikes on all buses. It's easy and convenient, whether you're loading onto one of our new front loading bike racks or loading your bike inside the bus. You can download this information by clicking here - Bike & Ride Program PDF.

Our racks are designed to keep your bike away from the bus and other bikes...and loading takes less than 20 seconds.

So if you're on your way to work, school, or the bike trails, you and your bike will get there together in style!

How to use Exterior Bike Racks
Cyclists are responsible for loading, securing, and unloading their own bikes. If you have any questions, please ask the driver. Bike racks are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each rack accommodates two bikes of most sizes and styles.

Loading Your Bike

1. When the bus approaches and stops, have your bike ready to go.
  2. Let the driver know that you will be loading a bike and prepare to load your bike. Always load your bike from the curbside.
  3. If the bike rack is in the upright position, release it by pulling up on the lever and slowly lower the rack down. You only need to use one hand. There is no need to lean your bike against the bus.
  4. Lift your bike on to the rack and fit the wheels into the proper slots.
    Each wheel slot is clearly labeled for the front and rear tire.

Photo 1 - Loading bike

Photo 2 - Loading bike

1. Raise the support arm off the rack and over the front tire. A spring will pull the arm down securely latching it to your bike.
  1. Board the bus and enjoy the ride. You pay only your regular fare....the bike rides free!
Photo 3 - Loading bike

Unloading Your Bike

Photo 4 - Unloading bike
  1. When the bus approaches the stop, tell the driver you'll
    be removing your bike.
  2. Unload your bike from the curbside. Do not step into the traffic lane.
  3. Raise the support arm off the tire.
  4. Lift your bike out of the wheel slots.
  5. Fold up the rack if there are no other bikes on the rack.
    Move away from the bus with your bike.
General Rules & Requirements
StaRT may at anytime alter the rules and conditions of the Bike and Ride Program. Current regulations may be obtained from the StaRT administrative offices.
  • Cyclists are responsible for loading, securing and unloading their bikes in a safe and timely manner.
  • No motorized bikes will be allowed.
  • Bike trailers are not permitted on bike racks or inside the bus.
  • Cyclists must secure their bikes in the bike racks. Securement arms are provided and must be used to hold the bike in place during travel.
  • Bikes cannot be loaded onto external racks from dus****il dawn, because they impede bus headlight visibility.
  • If the exterior rack is full, then additional bikes may be stored in the wheelchair designated seat area of the bus. Have your bike ready to go when the bus approaches. Allow other passengers to exit and enter before loading a bike. Ask the driver for a securement strap and position your bike into one of the wheelchair tie-down areas. Secure the bike frame with the securement strap. Cyclists must stay with their bikes and keep the aisle clear. When you arrive at your destination, return the securement strap to the driver. If safety issues arise, this convenience may be suspended.
  • If the bus is full or the wheelchair tie-down areas are occupied and cannot accommodate bikes, please honor the driver's request and board the next available bus.
  • If a bike is in a wheelchair space and a person who uses a wheelchair boards the bus, the owner of the bike will be requested to remove the bike. This may require the bike owner to get off the bus.
  • Reservations are needed for bikes on Dial-A-Rides. When making a reservation for Dial-A-Ride, indicate that you will also have a bike.
Responsibility
Bike racks are provided as a convenience to bus riders. Stanislaus Regional Transit is not responsible for the theft or loss of bikes, or damages incurred or caused to bikes while on the transit system or at a bus stop, or during loading and unloading of the bike, or injury to the cyclist loading or unloading a bike. Cyclist will be responsible for any damages caused by the cyclist or bike while loading or unloading the bike, and if they fail to secure the bike on the rack or in the bus correctly.

If a bike is in a wheelchair space and a person who uses a wheelchair boards the bus, the owner of the bike will be requested to remove the bike. This may require the bike owner to get off the bus.

Remember to get your bike off the rack when you exit.

Just a reminder...You go to Google, then you click on maps on the upper right hand side. Type in your city or area. You'll find a drop down menu...Then just click on bicycling. It will show you in green where the bike paths and bike lanes are for that area.

If you have a problem with a bicycle, consider an adult tricycle. The other day I saw a woman who looked to be over 200 pounds riding a trike doing her errands (basket in the back). I was so proud of her and her effort...Not worrying what society might think. She did what she could, with what she had.

cabin111
on 1/31/17 3:55 pm, edited 1/31/17 7:56 am
Topic: RE: Weekly Workout 1.29.17

Sunday...Easy.  Did a little pruning...Rode my bike around the block.

Monday...Weedeatted, mowed, and blew off my daughter's back yard.  She has a large lot.

Tuesday...Today.  Rode my bike.  Went to the sales yard/flea market...Got a massage.  Rode home, then rode to my brother's house (dropped off the family medical history...It's good to have for kids and grandkids).  Then rode to the coffee shop (got a 1/2 chef salad and hot tea)...I later will add more vegetables to the salad (it will last me 3-4 days sometimes).  Then rode to Walgreens to pick up a medication...Then rode home...About 5 miles total.  Later I plan to pick oranges off two trees at the farm.  And then pick up some brush to put in a recycle trash can later.

The rest of the week I don't know.  It looks like rain Thursday and Friday.  I'll play it by ear.  Brian 

cabin111
on 1/30/17 8:30 pm
Topic: RE: Gym Rat or home body?

Post op I went from one exercise to another to find the right fit for ME.  My exercise patter won't be yours.  You have to find the exercise you will enjoy and stick with.  I thought post op I would go back to racquetball, tennis, golf, maybe basketball and swimming.  Well I still have a bad back post ops...So all that pounding of the back was out.  Also I am cold ALL the time...So swimming was out too.  And that was the one thing I thought I would go back to. 

So because of my back, (and I live in California), I took up the bicycle, walking, mowing lawns and maintaining fruit trees and grape vines (pruning, spraying, tying, thinning, picking).  Who would have thought??  I am 61, over 10 years post op, on blood thinners (two heart attacks), and my skin scratches easily.  So it's sort of a no brainer for me.  I do movements that are careful and planned.  On my bike I ride defensively.  I ALWAYS assume that the drivers in the cars (and motorcycles...That one nearly killed me) don't see me and may not yield.

Anyways...Just saying find your fit for being fit and go for it.  As you get older, your exercise routine will change as your body changes.  Brian

cabin111
on 1/30/17 8:06 pm
Topic: RE: Gym Rat or home body?

Different subject...But the same idea.  Every morning post op for about the first 5 years I would have two spoonfuls of Wendy's Chili...Every morning first thing.  I would throw in some mixed vegetables in the container too.  Usually eat it cold.  But I wanted to make sure there was something good in my system in case I got busy and started to eat junk later that day.  Similar to people starting their day with whey protein isolate.  Just me...

cabin111
on 1/25/17 7:16 pm, edited 1/25/17 11:17 am
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 1.23.17

Been doing a lot of physical work...Today I mowed weeds (walking) at the farm.  The cool thing is I just took my pulse and BP.  116/65...Pulse 65.  I'll take that any day being 61 years old!!  Tomorrow I hope to ride to the coffee shop and get my hot tea and a cup of soup.  The rains have finally stopped here in California...

cabin111
on 1/3/17 10:35 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 1.2.17-1.8.17

I'm getting so old I can't remember how I got my workouts this weeks so far.  I live on a street where if you walk around the block, it's like walking a 1/4 mile track...Like the ones around most high school football fields.  One day this week I would just continued to ride around the block...Yeah, I may look goofy, but I am getting in my exercise!

Growing up, across the street from me, was the former mayor of the city.  Nice guy.  He wanted to stay healthy...He had a large ranch style house.  He would do his stretching then start his sprints!!  Going around the house...into his 70s and 80s.  He won (or placed) at some senior national races.  We as kids thought he was kind of nutzo.  Now, over the years, we see how smart he was.  He lived into his 90s I think.

Anyways...I ramble!  Today (Tuesday) it rained a lot here in California...We really needed it.  I don't have a gym membership so what do I do.  So at a little before 9:00pm I start my walking around the house.  Grabbed my 3 pound weight a bit.  Walked till about 10:05...About 3.5mph.  I needed it.  Don't know where the week will take me.  Thursday and Friday should be sunny, so I may mow weeds or spray Roundup.  I think I should do both each day...Do some mowing (exercise)...Then the work (Roundup).  Brian  PS More rain scheduled this weekend...Any ideas?  I don't live in a city with a mall...  

cabin111
on 12/20/16 9:12 pm, edited 12/20/16 1:26 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 12.19.16

I am all over the place with exercise/work.  What is work and what is exercise.  They mix so much in my life, at 61+ it becomes a blur.  I got my college degree in physical education.  Back in the 70's, I remember the professor saying when you exercise, if you can get your heart rate above 120 beats per minute for at least 12 minutes, you will continue to improve (over time) in your exercise strength and total lung capacity...Minimum requirement.  Yet, we look at people who exercise and die of heart attacks...And we see many old people working their gardens and are living a good life into their 80's and 90's!!  So I'm somewhere in between.  Here is my example for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday...I don't know what the rest of the week will bring.

Sunday  Put slow dripping water on all the citrus trees at my home place, farm, and rental.  Picked oranges and tangerines...Gave them to friends and neighbors.  Ran errands in the car for much of the day.  At about 7 pm I realized I didn't get any exercise for the day.  So (since it's cold outside)...I just started walking in the house.  I think I averaged between 3.5-4 mph...A fair pace.  Things like walk to the bedroom...Turn around and walk back. Walked for over 1/2 hour.  During some of this time I am punching the air, doing different karate moves I learned from my daughter's classes, doing modified pushups against the kitchen counter, and doing basic aerobics moves while watching football in front of the TV.  All the window shades were closed...So I don't look too strange!!

Monday  Ran errands in the car...Shopping and such.  Went to an orchard I help work on...Pruned trees and tied trees (so the fruit won't break the branches in the summer).

Tuesday (today)  Rode my bike to the flea market...Got a massage $20.  About a mile each way.  Ran errands in the car...Put out garbage cans.  Went to the farm...Turned off the water under the citrus trees (no frost issues).  Picked oranges.  My tenant at the farm is a day sleeper...But she was up and I saw her leave to run an errand.  SO!  I grabbed the gas lawnmower (push) and mowed maybe 3/4 of an acre of tall weeds.  Good workout...Built up a good sweat.  That was my workout today.  

Each day is different...In the warmer months I'd be on my bike more.  Anyways...Just a long way to explain how I mix work with exercise.  Brian 

Most Active