1 week recouperation after FOBI realistic? (please say yes)

OohLaLa27
on 4/30/13 9:08 pm - United Kingdom

Scheduled for fobi revision tomorrow, post RNY (originally done 2009).  

Am worrying about recouperation timelines after reading posts on this board.  I have allowed 3 days for hopsital, followed by a week's recouperation time working from home office, before embarking on a 7 week program of work, requiring long haul international travel to a mix of developed and developing countries,  pretty much back to back with the odd day back home with my 3 small children before heading off again.  I don't have a lot of choice in this since am a) the breadwinner and b) self employed and c) keeping the surgery secret from everyone I know except my hubbie and he's not really all that interested.

I literally bounced back from original RNY, went back to work after 3 days, commuted and never really thought anything about it, but at least i was in my own country with access to my kitchen for fluids and purrees etc, whereas now I'm only going to have that for a week, then will either be on a plane, in a hotel and will be standing up presenting all day, every day with large groups.   Had convinced myself this will be fine, but now having read all these posts about how hard it is to adjust to the FOBI restrictions am now having a major wobble...

Is this realistic?   I would find it VERY helpful to hear some good news stories if there is anyone else out there with a FOBI who found they bounced back to full function quite quickly.

THANKS! 

johns-wife
on 5/2/13 12:53 am

I had a Fobi the first time on 09 - I had it in Mexico and was out of work for a total of 8 days including travel time. At work, I sat at a desk and was very tired. I had not energy for several months. Presenting all day seems like it would be too much post-op, but who knows.

PepperAZ
on 6/15/13 10:03 pm

In my experience it took 6 weeks to recover from the operation and then a few months to gradually introduce foods again, beginning with soft foods. Most surgeries take that long to heal.  I began exercise after that healing time. I had the surgery(RNY with fobi pouch) in August so I could recover during the hot summer months and then be able to exercise when the weather had cooled as I live in central AZ. My surgery was 13 years ago. I was able to loose 200 pounds in one year. I still maintain 170 pounds of the weight. I take a protein bar with me where ever I go and water to sip as it is essential to remain dehydrated to have enough protein if I am out for extended periods of time. Whey protein was highly recommended by my surgeon.

snowolf50
on 8/8/13 10:23 am - Colorado Springs, CO

I had the Fobi originally done in 1997 and I took 2 weeks off went back to teaching and within 5 days back in hospital and was out for 4 more weeks and sick for the whole second semester....mine was a full open though indecision

Most Active