support for skin

pouchregrets
on 8/25/13 3:08 pm

A short story in a book that is being published describes my regret for getting this surgery. As an obese teen, I dreamed of being confident and physically able to do all the things people my age could do. 

Instead I turned into a deformed freak. I dieted and eventually became a vegan and stuck to portion control after the surgery and I have exercised every day, I have had consultations at different doctors and I've been told nothing except surgery (which I can't afford) will ever fix my excess skin.

Every day I cry and I sobbed every second of writing my article. I  have to live with the knowledge that I can never wear shorts or a t shirt or even a dress without stockings again in life because of my disgusting excess skin.  Imagine being a teenager and thinking you'll FINALLY get to do more activities just like all your peers and then learn you can't throw a ball because of all your skin. Imagine running at the gym or just going for a walk in the summer time and having to wear stockings and tight, long sleeves. I'm doomed to live in a nightmare forever.  

Swimming was my favourite thing in the world and that is something I will never enjoy with my friends again. 

I am now a monster, a mutant. At least when I had big fat arms and legs they looked human. Like normal arms, just bigger. I dated and had lots of boyfriends when I was obese because lots of people are attracted to bigger ladies, but everyone now is horrified because of my arms and I have gone on dates, but nobody would want to go further with or be attracted to a thin body with tons of skin. I have been single now for eight years.   

I have been thinking of telling my story for years, but knew it would call more attention to my horrible arms. I am finally ready to swallow my pride and post my story in as many public forums as I can so that other people know not only about this risk, but the way it really feels to live like this. I am trying to describe it, though the shame and the pain is indescribable.  

I have tried to keep my eyes out for support groups but have yet to encounter anyone that's had my experience. Hopefully the more people I tell, I can find someone who understands my pain. 

I know how it feels to want to be thin and how many people would do ANYTHING to have this surgery but if I had one wish I would turn back time and not destroy my own life by getting this surgery. 

wittyme
on 9/16/13 9:41 am

I am so terribly sorry for your issues. ): I think you may want to talk to a psychologist that is knowledgeable in the after effects of WLS. I absolutely have to disagree with you that you are a "monster" or a "mutant". Now, you are healthy, with a lot of life left to live. That is amazing all in itself. Have you discussed this issue with your insurance company? They may be able to help you by covering it. Rashes, are one related issue that will help an insurance cover the procedure. Think about it. Smile. You are worth it !

JazzyOne9254
on 11/20/13 12:26 am, edited 11/20/13 12:29 am

I'm not sure where you are, but if your excess skin is causing medical problems, you might qualify as a medical necessity.

I will be having LBL/thghplasty between now and January 30th.  My insurance approved the procedures on November 4th.  Going ot a consult next month with the doctor who took over my original surgeons practice.  Original surgeon decided to retire at the end of the year, and I couldn't nake it onto the schedule to be his absolute last patient.

If you are having skin issues, like breakdown, cellulitis, or anything else, make sure you document that - day, date , what happened, whethere or not you went to the doctor or ER, treatment, and outcome.  Also get plastics consults, becasue even if the surgeon says they can't do it, you can document that visit and what was said about your skin issue.  I had one surgeon turn me down because he didn't feel comfortable dong the massive surgery I would require.

I am truly having your experience, but one thing that I did was *NEVER GIVE UP* on finding a solution, and I found one!

Just so you know, I had that "mutant" feeling, too.  Stil do to some degree, and wondering if the surgery will help the issue, but even if it doesn't, I'm going for it!

BTW- publishers are looking at first drafts of a book I'm writing about the DS..the surgery I had.  If you get some psych professionals to co-author with you, you might be able to publish something that specifically addresesses the issues WLS patients have from a psychological viewpoint.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

tee2luved
on 1/29/19 3:56 pm

I haven't had the surgery yet, butthat done thing that concerns me. The excess skin.

tee2luved
on 1/29/19 3:58 pm

I haven't had the surgery yet, but that is one thing that concerns me. The excess skin.

Most Active