Starting my grand vsg adventure here in RI...

ITwon
on 2/26/13 1:26 pm - Woonsocket, RI
It's funny that I found this forum as my mom always wonders why I don't just do things, I have to do them "gayly". There's a sense of community I obviously don't expect her to relate to.

Anyways, while I've been reading up on wls for awhile, I've finally decided it was time. I actually have put it off for so long because I wasn't sure if I wanted Lap Band or Gastric Sleeve. But I'm opting for the sleeve. It was actually my friend getting lap band done this month that gave me the push I needed. Jealousy maybe?

But I don't mean to make light of it, I'm almost 450lbs. Granted I'm 6'3" but my "height making it ok" rational failed to apply about 100lbs ago. I'm admittedly quite nervous about the surgery risks. I believe that I have what it takes to do well once given the opportunity. I already eat healthily, just excessively and emotionally. And I work out 4 times a week. I think it's time now, while I still have some of my youth to recover / enjoy it. Reading about others journeys is very inspiring, and sobering, to me. So, hi!
birder I.
on 2/27/13 9:53 pm - Rockford, IL

Welcome to the group,

I had my last surgery when I was 67 and I wish I had done it years ago. I feel so much better! You will get support here so check in regularly!

Connie

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender/

ITwon
on 2/28/13 12:39 pm - Woonsocket, RI
Thanks I just know it is one of those things I will need to do at some point so why wait. I've always been overweight and is only getting more extreme as the years go by. I just worry about the expenses. I don't have a ton of expendable income. Who does, obviously.
mmcgee2155
on 3/5/13 11:16 pm - MN

Welcome! 

While I don't live there anymore, I grew up in Woonsocket!!!  I grew up about a 5 minute walk from the High School.  I live in Minneapolis, MN now. 

I had RNY in December 2010, lost 150-160 lbs within about 7 months and have been maintaining ever since.  I had it done when I was 43, and wish I had done it so much sooner!  Life has changed a lot, but is good.

Your life will change in more ways than you can expect.  I have 2 teenage kids (adopted) who I love hanging out with and doing things with.  I can actually keep up with them now, although my 16 year old is now stronger than me!  On the down side, my partner of 15 years and I separated this past year, not 100% due to the surgery and life changes, but it played a role.  I am now seeing someone else, which has been phenomena for both of us. 

Get ready, it is going to be a wild ride.

ITwon
on 3/6/13 1:29 pm - Woonsocket, RI
Hi! Yeah, I work for BJs Wholesale and moved here to be close to work. Sorry to hear about your partner, but glad you are getting on Ok. I'm 33 and definitely ready for my life to change! Hopefully for the better lol though I know it always won't be. But I'm hopeful and realistic. I just want to do it now! I hate the inevitable 5 month wait. But I'm preparing and making changes now.
chickenoregg
on 3/8/13 8:48 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
Five months will fly by. I just had my gay surgery last week.

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

Julie J.
on 3/12/13 7:27 pm - NV
On February 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM Pacific Time, ITwon wrote:
It's funny that I found this forum as my mom always wonders why I don't just do things, I have to do them "gayly". There's a sense of community I obviously don't expect her to relate to.

Anyways, while I've been reading up on wls for awhile, I've finally decided it was time. I actually have put it off for so long because I wasn't sure if I wanted Lap Band or Gastric Sleeve. But I'm opting for the sleeve. It was actually my friend getting lap band done this month that gave me the push I needed. Jealousy maybe?

But I don't mean to make light of it, I'm almost 450lbs. Granted I'm 6'3" but my "height making it ok" rational failed to apply about 100lbs ago. I'm admittedly quite nervous about the surgery risks. I believe that I have what it takes to do well once given the opportunity. I already eat healthily, just excessively and emotionally. And I work out 4 times a week. I think it's time now, while I still have some of my youth to recover / enjoy it. Reading about others journeys is very inspiring, and sobering, to me. So, hi!

I am so glad you mentioned height. I keep trying to convince the doctors that I am NOT fat. I'm just too short LOL. Good luck to you on whatever decision you make.

ITwon
on 3/12/13 7:36 pm - Woonsocket, RI
Thanks
ohbearly
on 3/13/13 4:46 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Welcome! This is a good community. I spent a good bit of time here 5 years ago when I had surgery. I pop in now and then. Having a positive attitude goes a long way in making you a success with WLS. -- Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

ITwon
on 3/13/13 12:48 pm - Woonsocket, RI
Thanks! I went to my seminar tonight. Now it starts. In very excited for this new chapter of my life to begin. I'm already preparing myself for the changes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 355 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 926 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1301 views