It pays to be your own patient advocate...

JUST PLAIN JANE
on 3/5/13 12:49 am - des moines, IA

Today I'm having my first iron infusion.  My ferritin is 10 and has been that way for a year now.  My surgeon just keeps watching it and increasing my iron, but finally, I had enough.  I talked to my regular doc *****ran some tests and agreed with me that I needed a bigger boost of iron.  My infusion is scheduled for this afternoon and I can't tell you how excited I am!  If I hadn't taken control of my own care, I would still be waiting to see what my surgeon would have decided to do a couple of months from now.  I don't believe in being a "doctor hopper", but I am happy to finally be getting the care that I needed.

JANE   =^..^=

My life is as good as I say it is.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/13 9:55 am
RNY on 05/01/13

Yes it does!  I hope it went well. I had a similar issue with vitamin D. I am pre op, but i need vitamin D supplements at a certain dose. If I stop them I get tired and stop losing weight. However sometimes my doc wouldn't refil the Rx....wanted to "wait and see" how I did off of the supplement. I went to the medical records department and got all of my weight loss records, and then to the pharmacy and got a report of the vitamin D fills, and made a graph for him, showing  the correlation.  My back up plan is to always have an alternate source for vitamins....however if I can use my insurance, it sure helps. I sure hope your infusion helps you get going again.

JUST PLAIN JANE
on 3/11/13 1:01 am - des moines, IA

Thanks for the well wishes!  I have three more infusions scheduled, so I have faith that it will help, even if not long term.  I also had Vitamin D issues and after the prescription D didn't seem to help much, I started with Vitalady's dry D and haven't had problems since. 

Good luck with your future surgery!

JANE   =^..^=

My life is as good as I say it is.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 351 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 920 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1297 views