Recent Posts

noonietunes
on 1/17/13 3:55 am
RNY on 01/29/13
Topic: RE: Backpacking after WLS- is it possible?

I love hiking and camping and had hoped to work up to back country backpacking once my weight was under control.  I have not yet had surgery.  I am struggling between RNY which has the best results of weight loss, and sleeve, only because I am afraid that I won't be able to drink enough water/eat enough after the RNY to pull off hiking.  I am now leaning back toward sleeve because I am so afraid that RNY will prevent me from going on long dayhikes or multiday backpacking trips. That would kill me if I did something that prevented me from something I love. I also hopes someone replies to our posts to allay our fears.

HuskyPapi
on 4/24/12 12:57 am - Oakland, CA
Topic: Backpacking after WLS- is it possible?
I am very interested in hiking and backpacking. I have been watching videos of backpacking meals that people pack. They are extremely carb and sugar heavy. Neither of which I can do in excess after RNY. Has anyone here gone on extended hikes and or backpacked ? How did you manage hydration and nutrition? How to do eat to give you enough energy to complete long hikes?

Also: I am in NC and would love to meet some hiking buddies.

Thanks!

carrtje
on 9/30/08 1:44 am - Chico, CA
Topic: Is this place still active?
Just curious. I'm an avid backpacker / hiker. Wondering if anyone has info about Ultralight food solutions for WLS patients.
Joanne C.
on 12/21/06 8:25 am - N Richland Hills, TX
Topic: I can't believe I didn't know about this place!
I never knew there were forums about "member interests". It doesn't look like hardly anyone else knows about them either! But I am going to post here anyway. I have just recently fallen in love with hiking. I am still very much the beginer. My husband and I usually hike the Northshore Trail at Grapevine Lake. There are some places in Fort Worth also, but we haven't checked them out yet. Over Thanksgiving I went on a hike with my father in law and some of his boy scout troop. We attempted to climb Wheeler Peak. It was my first "real" climb and my first experience with altitude (out side of an airplane anyhow!), and carrying a full pack. It didn't go great, but ok. And now I am dying to try Guadalupe Peak. I think that will be more doable. My husband and I are tentively going over spring break this year. I will be in better shape and the altitude isn't as high, so I am hopefull that all will go well.
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/06 2:50 am - SC
Topic: My FIRST Hiking venture in 9 years!!
Hi fellow Hikers! I'm sooooo excited and feeling absolutly amazing today! I went to Chimney Rock, NC yesterday and hiked up the "Eye of the Needle" to the Chimney! THEN, I rode down the elevator and went down the trail to the water fall. I know it's not the most strenious hike, but my first in so long..I was amazed I made this venture with no trouble at all! Just a little winded here and there, especilly up that first flight up the "needle" Most of the other hikers took one look and said, NO WAY and went towards the elevator. LOL I said to myself..one step at a time and don't look up! Anyway..I left home, here in SC at 8am and got to Chimney Rock at about 10am. wandered around the area a little while waiting for lunch to be served (11:30) had a wonderful lunch of Salmon and mixed veggies and tho' I know we are not supposed to drink with our food..I just wanted that glass of white zen. wine! Wow..went straight to my head.. I had to go to the bathroom three times before I started hiking tho'..the wine was not a good choice..it went right thru me and may have dehydrated me a little..but I did drink a lot of water on the trip over there..oh well.. The hike was envigorating and I'm still feeling the wonderful affects of it today! not too sore either, just a little blister on my toe..but I need some new hiking shoes..my feet at a size smaller now! The hike just made me want to MOVE, and keep moving! Gave me a rush! I'm back! I have found myself again! Thanks for listening! Janet
Christy H.
on 4/28/06 3:43 pm - Atwater, CA
Topic: RE: Raleigh Support Group meetings, Everyone welcome!
Wow! I haven't been back here in a long time. I didn't know anyone responded to my Half Dome hike. It was so fun! It was hard, but well worth it. I say you do need to be more fit. I think we are going again this year. Not sure when yet, but we are doing it again. I'm in much better condition and I think I'll do better. Christy
SherrieD
on 8/11/05 7:57 am - Springfield, MO
Topic: RE: Hiking anyone?
It would be great if you where here, we have a all women's back packing group. We plan about 2 to 3 big trips a year.. big for us is 1-2 over night stays. Then we also do day hikes around the area. It's really great to be with other females, and no children with us. That way we can vent about everything and get in our trips. I'm also kind of new at the back packing thing and these ladies are very skilled you know can start a fire w/nothing... LOL 2 of the ladies are very long time girl scouts which is great because I know where ever we go they will get me out of there!! Our group had all skill levels and we love just being out doors. Good luck with your search for a group to start hiking with.. you know you might e-mail Christy H in A****er to see if she can help you get w/a group closer to your area and your skill level. Here is her page link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/profile.phtml?N=H1058547765 and she is from ObesityHelp.com web site so that would be a common link! Keep hicking! We must all stick together and stay fit! SherrieD 10.12.04 278/183/???
not2swift
on 8/11/05 4:38 am - Sacramento, CA
Since I'm just getting interested in hiking and a beginner, Half Dome would be quite the challenge! You go girl! I've heard about that place but never been there. It's a few hours away from Sacramento, CA where I am. Let me know how you handled it physically, in case the opportunity ever arises for me. I've gone online in my area for hiking groups but having trouble motivating myself to meet up with total strangers with nothing in common and feeling like I'm not as good as they are and my fears come into play etc etc. Alot of hikes also seem to have stream crossings and on my first hike I did it, (only cause I had too!) but it was STRESSFUL and I'm a chicken. Long and steep hikes I think I could handle though, since I walk every day my legs are in shape for that. Anyway....My thought is I wish I could hookup with WLS folks then I would be amoungst my own peers! You feel me? Sorry you live in Missouri! Thanks for your reply! Sandy
SherrieD
on 8/10/05 11:45 am - Springfield, MO
Hi Sandy, I saw this post but not sure if it is close to where you are... since I'm in Missouri. Half Dome hike is coming up Original Post by Christy H at 8:22 PM PST on 07/01/2005 A****er, CA Me and some of my WLS friends are hiking Half Dome on July 9th. We are meeting at the foot of the Mist Trail at 4:30 or 5:00 AM. Anyone that would like to join us...you are welcome to. This is a big deal for me. I jumped from a plane in April of this year and though I'm not a veteran hiker, I'm going to attempt this mother of hikes. Keep hiking! SherrieD
Angie M.
on 7/28/05 7:49 pm - Phelan, CA
Topic: Hiking in SoCal
Anyone out there that is interested in getting a hiking group together in SoCal? I'm in the Inland Empire but interested in hikes throughout Berdo/Riv, LA, OC or ? Maybe put something together for once or twice a month? Drop me a line at [email protected] if you're interested. Angie M
Most Active
Recent Topics