Will the RNY help you diet after 2yrs.

Angie H.
on 5/29/12 4:59 am - Brooklet, GA

I am 2 years out from my surgery and have gained about 15-20 pounds back. I didnt lose a lot in the first place. I was at 240 when I had surgery, then got down to 175, and now I am creeping back to that 200 line. What is the best course to take now. I have never had any problems eating anything except for rice and pasta and believe it or not I dont even want  it anymore. Is it harder to lose weight after surgery of is it easier? I am really starting to get the hunger feeling back too. That doesnt help either. I loved it when I didnt notice I was hungry.

NeeNee1971
on 6/11/12 3:06 pm - FL
I had my surgery in 2007 and got down to 197. I became pregnant. (surprise, surprise!) My weight crept up to 230. Last year I had a revision done and am back on track losing weight. It gets harder and we have to retrain our thought process as we are in that first "honeymoon" period. Once that is over it's work work work. But worth it. Talk to your Dr about a revision. Also, try the 5 day pouch test. Sometimes we get off track but after 5 days we can reclaim our pouches and start again. Good luck!
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

Darlenefitz
on 6/29/12 12:17 am - NC
I had  my surgery 5 years ago.....I was 362 lbs.... Got down to 135...... As you know after a year or two my appitite came back like a MONSTER.     And yes now it is work work work work.....  i WEIGHT AP.   150 - 159...   i NEED TO  weigh  145....
Darlenefitz
on 6/29/12 1:01 am - NC
5 TO 6 YEARS....iD HAVE TO GO LOOK IT UP TO BE SURE....
mermaidoz
on 8/4/12 4:20 am - Canada
Theoretically is supposed to be easier to diet after WLS ...As we still have volume restriction ( no longer caloric malabsorption and every calorie counts).  If you are now HUNGRY, maybe after the first week (like with any restrictive diet), you will have to tough it through those 5 days or less for the lucky, and get to where you can eat less but balanced diet: protein, veg, leafy green and cruciferous like broccoli and cauliflower, and salads with cukes and tomatoes, onion, and celery and radishes , all filling ( NO ROOT VEGGIES like potatoes, carrots, beets, parsnips, or starchy veggies like peas or corn as they are carbs and carbs are the enemy even good ones when dieting) and skip cooking fats except for minimal olive oil, and salt, and wow you should be loosing 10 lbs if not 15 in first month...
Shrinkmeforever
on 8/28/12 5:04 pm - Rome, NY
RNY on 07/29/10 with
I also am 2 years out from my surgery.  Your story sounds a lot like mine.  I started around 242 and I went down to 147 after one year.  Now at my 2 year check up I GAINED 20 lbs.  Unfortunately I have found that hardly anything makes me sick unless I really overeat.  I can eat an amazing amount of food.  I seem to be right back at my old habits.  My point is that I find it just as hard now to lose weight as I did before the surgery.  Our group leader in our support group always says "they didn't operate on your head", meaning, although they did surgery on the physical you, you still have to deal with the mental you.  It was so much easier when we didn't get hungry.  I swore I would never gain back any weight, and now I have.  Just the stress of knowing that makes me want to eat!  How sick is that?
Audra S.
on 9/15/12 10:21 am
Nope.  I'm in the same boat.  I started at 353, got down to 190 at about 1.5 years, and am back up to 208.  Just thinking about it sends me to eat more.  And I don't get sick on anything either.  I do notice I don't feel as well after carbs, but unfortunately it's not bad enough to stop eating them.

My doctor told me to expect this (he said to expect a 10% bounce-back after about 2 years), but I always felt like it wouldn't happen to me.  Knowing that this isn't uncommon doesn't solve things, but I do feel like a little less of a failure knowing other people are in the same boat.
drdawnhopper
on 10/21/12 4:06 am - voorheesville, NY
I find it easier to lose weight. Yes I creep back a little now and then. Then I start a record of what I am eating - everything- and take a 30 minute walk every evening. I do this for one week. It reminds me that I have been nibbling a little more than I think. By the end of the week I am usually back on track. Just like anyone else I have to work at it. But it is easier.
spicegirrl
on 11/5/12 12:03 am

Angie - I am in the same place also.  I was at 10 when I had my VSG, droppd to 147 in 10-11 months - and now 3 years out have gained back 20 pounds.  I feel really desperate - I though the feelings of hunger would have been eliminated, but I feel genuinely hungry - not head hungry (like in the morning if I skip breakfast).  I have developed a serious aversion to protein-shakes - can't stand the sight of them! hate that lingering sweetness from the sweeteners.  Ugh! Have sporadically tried to get back to tracking my food, but that just made me more hungry.

Started a liquid diet in the last few days, and have lost maybe 1 pound.  My body hangs on to weight, I feel hungry, I feel desperate.  So today I signed back on to OH-forums to find folks that can help me get through this and drop 10-15 lbs.  I like how I look and feel at 160 - but keep thinking I should try for 155 so I have a "margin".

Chocolate is what I crave, non-stop - and crunchy things.  

Pray for me people - help me get there.

spicegirrl
on 11/5/12 12:04 am

I was at 250 - not 10!!!

Most Active