Afraid to eat (3wk post op RNY)

Sarah C.
on 9/27/12 2:49 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
So a week ago i was given permission to start soft foods, anything I can cut with a plastic fork, but I'm really struggling with WHAT to eat.  I've got cookbooks and recipes, but....I'm afraid of food.  I'm struggling with how to have protein that isn't the same thing every day.  If I don't start my morning with a protein shake, i'm behind the rest of the day on fluids and protein. 

What can I do to help this??  Anyone have any recommendations as to what I can eat?? 

Also, i'm single and live alone, so cooking major meals is tough because even if I portion out food and freeze the remaining, i'm still eating the same thing for several meals. 

Also, I KNOW I NEED to eat, but the not hungry thing is throwing me for a loop.  I'm afraid if I eat when I don't feel hungry (haven't been hungry since surgery) i'm going to overeat and throw up or be in pain. 

Any ideas are appreciated, please!!! 

Thanks,
Sarah

akr9911
on 9/27/12 2:59 am
VSG on 06/20/13
What are your go-to meals now? A scrambled egg? Some cottage cheese? You know I am pre-op so I have no ideas yet but am looking forward to the responses you get! :) 
Sarah C.
on 9/27/12 3:17 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
Tuna. Cottage cheese.  Greek Yogurt.  Deli Turkey.  If I'm feeling gutsy, i'll have some mashed potatoes with unflavored protein mixed in, but I know I can't do that often and I get WAY full from it.  Other than that, protein shakes. 

akr9911
on 9/28/12 2:24 am
VSG on 06/20/13
I've seen some people post about Refried Beans being a lifesaver at this stage. Maybe that might taste good, and different!
Sarah C.
on 9/29/12 12:53 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
 Oh my!  That's a really good idea!!!! I can do black beans, too for added protein!  Thank you!!!!!

Karenmarie716
on 10/5/12 3:56 am, edited 10/5/12 3:57 am - NC
RNY on 06/20/12
refried beans and black beans were my saving grace after surgery! Try a little shredded cheese mixed in for more flavor and protein! Also while eggs don't agree with everyone, eggs work perfect for me. I scramble an egg and throw some salsa on top!

catlynn2010
on 10/3/12 1:17 am - McDonough, GA
My go to meal was chili, cheese, and sour cream.  At first I blended it in the food processor for the mushy stage and then just ate it normal after that.  I still love to fall back on it when I don't plan well.  Good luck!
  Pre-op: 255   Day of Surgery:  248 

drdawnhopper
on 10/21/12 4:08 am - voorheesville, NY
Visualize your stomach as a tiny egg. I ate half an egg and cheese for months. It will get better!
Peggy F.
on 11/6/12 4:14 am - Whitby, Canada

Try these: hummus, yogurt, laughing cow cheese, soups, chili, soda crackers (good with hummus and laughing cow), eggs, sf pudding/jello, mashed potatoes, shepherds pie (yes, even with meat in it), turkey/chicken shredded. 

I even made the 'eggbakes' that I found on the recipe section here (posted by 'eggface' I think her name was.  She has lots of great ideas)....they are good.  Good way to use up leftovers.

Hope that helps.  It gets easier.  I'm 6 weeks out and can eat most things now.  I really missed toast. 

Peggy

kayjay
on 9/3/13 8:54 am - glen allen, VA
Hi there, I'm new here and may be posting on the wrong forum. Thank you all for your posts, I'm a revised RNY and I'm 3 wks out... don't remember when that not being able to eat, when almost everything I ate I felt like when I would swallow it was tough going down(hard to explain) that does get better...right? Sorry if this should not be on here, you guy's are just speaking of things getting bette... just don't like the feeling I get when I eat sometimes... ya know, just want to be able swallow somewhat normally
Most Active