severe hunger pangs

pjb42659
on 3/5/13 1:24 pm - OH

I am 4 months out and for the last 2 I get very strong hunger pangs within 1-2 hours after eating.  It feels like I hadn't eaten in 2 days.  When I start to eat it sometimes gets even worse then slowly goes away.  My surgeon tells me to eat more at each meal to stay fuller longer.  I eat as much as I can at one sitting and it is 1 cup or so of food.  I always eat protein first and sometimes only.  I do get in 60-70 grams of protein/day.  It is very uncomfortable and I am afraid to be away from the house for more than an hour unless I take a meal with me.  I end up grazing all day to keep the pain away and I know this is the path to regaining.  Any suggestions?

newmom35
on 3/25/13 3:48 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12

I can't really help but I am 3 months out and going through the same thing. Hopefully its just a phase and we will get over it. Im actually surprised how hungry I got right after surgery too.

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

tipoftheiceberg
on 3/28/13 7:29 pm

May I suggest that you increase the amount of protein you eat especially on those days when you have those "very strong hunger pains".  I find that eating a minimum of 80 grams of protein a day helps me remain satisfied longer.  Also you may want to look at the quality of the protein you are eating.    

I found that when I would indulge in "protein bars" as a meal replacement, I was not satisfied and quickly became hungry often within no time.  My body responded to them like candy bars.  They also increased my sugar cravings though they were low in carbohydrates. 

I also have a difficult time with eating high protein cereals,  It seams that I am never satisfied. I can easily overindulge.  Two brands that I have tried are Kashi Go Lean and Kellogg's Special K Protein.  I have been known to "binge" on them.

I have to stay away from processed foods that claim to be high in protein.  My body does not feel full eating these products.

I need to eat foods that are denser in protein like fish (tuna, shrimp,salmon,tilapia) ,chicken, turkey, pork medallions, lean ground beef, veal, tofu or tempeh ......you get the picture.  I usually do not eat my protein alone.  Often I pair it with a green leafy vegetable....giving me some added fiber to keep me satisfied longer.   I find I do not need to graze between meals when I take care of myself this way.. 

I hope my suggestions help.

jordanltb1
on 6/19/14 11:15 am

Thank you for the info. I know that I can do better with this help. I love this forum.

simmie78
on 4/1/13 1:28 am
I get the same. I blame it on working out...I'm starving all the time like stomach growling gurgling. I eat 4-5 times a day and real food - no shakes unless I'm in a pinch and I get in about 70-80 grams of protein. For me it just seems 800 cals is not enough for my body when I work out. What surgery did u have?

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

_aprilh_
on 4/7/13 11:18 am - OK

It could be due to too much stomach acid... do you take an antacid like prevacid or prilosec? I had a lot of hunger after my surgery and it was due to stomach acid over production. I was also exercising too much. I hope you figure out what works for you... increasing coarse protein or an antacid. Good luck!

"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

Most Active